Bethany Hamilton

by Dani from Loveland

My hero is Bethany Hamilton. Bethany Hamilton is a competitive surfer. Her arm got bit off when she was 13. She lives in Hanalei, Kauai, Hawaii.

She was surfing on Halloween 2003 when she got her arm bit off by a 15 foot Tiger Shark. She lost over 60% of her blood and went through many surgeries. She always knew she wanted to be a professional surfer, but now she had to accomplish that with one arm. She always had her faith with her and always kept her positive attitude. Just one month after the attack, she was back surfing in the ocean. Her first competition after the attack was in January of 2004. She ended up placing 5th.

Bethany has a strong relationship with God. She has inspired me to always believe that God will help you, and God is always there. Her story helps me through the day. Even her loss of an arm didn't make her angry with God, she kept on believing He was always there with you and that God has a plan for you no matter what happens. What she has been through is an amazing journey, proving that no matter what happens you can always pursue your dreams.