Bethany Hamilton

by Sofia Assi from San Diego

Bethany Hamilton surfing with one arm (DailyNews.com)

Has something ever blocked you for achieving your dreams? Well imagine something as big as losing one of your own arms. A hero is a person that will never give up, stands up for what she believes in, and inspires people to stay positive throughout the hardest times in your life. To me, Bethany Hamilton is a hero. At age 13, Bethany was surfing in her home town, Hawaii. Surfing was an everyday routine for Bethany, but on October 31st surfing changed her life forever. Her arm was bitten off by a 14-foot tiger shark. The loss of her arm did not stop my hero from achieving her dreams; it only made her stronger (Hamilton Biography). A hero is someone who inspires people to stay positive, someone who stands up for what she believes, someone who is dedicated and faithful, and someone who will never give up. Bethany Hamilton is my hero.

Bethany Hamilton after the shark bite in the hosp (thetribunenews.com)

Bethany Hamilton is an inspiration to millions of kids, teenagers, and even adults. When Bethany was 13 she lost her arm in a shark attack while surfing. This did not stop her; she continued to surf 1 month after the accident. “After losing over 60% of her blood, and making it through several surgeries without infection, Bethany Hamilton was on her way to recovery with an unbelievably positive attitude”(Hamilton Biography) After going through such an unfortunate event, she still remained positive throughout her recovery. She is an inspiration that shows with determination and some positive attitude you could get through anything. Bethany Hamilton recovered and got back in the water 1 month later to pursue her dreams. This inspires people to never give up and to never let anything get in your way of reaching your dreams. Bethany inspires people all over the nation to remain positive just like she did throughout her recovery. “Miraculously, just one month after the attack, Bethany Hamilton, returned to the water to continue pursuing her goal to become a professional surfer.”(Brown) Bethany Hamilton inspires us to never give up, after her arm was loss, she continued to do what she loved, surf. Bethany Hamilton inspires us to always look on the bright side of life, and reminds us we can do anything. In conclusion, Bethany Hamilton is an inspiration to millions of kids, teenagers, and adults.

Bethany Hamilton Surfing  (ellegirl.elle.com)
Bethany Hamilton Surfing (ellegirl.elle.com)

Bethany Hamilton had faith throughout her whole recovery which soon allowed her to continue surfing. “From a young age Bethany’s parents instilled their faith in Jesus Christ and at the age 5 she made the decision to have a personal relationship with him.”(Hamilton Biography) From a young age Bethany Hamilton has been in a relationship with Jesus Christ. This made her experience of losing her arm much simpler because she had faith, and believed Jesus would heal her over time. I believe Bethany would never be able to recover in such a short period of time without her faith and dedication which later led her to a positive recovery. Bethany’s faith in Jesus Christ and her positivity in recovering allowed her to get back in the water and win many awards. “Miraculously, just one month after the attack, Bethany returned to the water to continue pursuing her goal to become a professional surfer. In January of 2004, Bethany made her return to surf competition; placing 5th in the Open Women’s division of that contest.”(Hamilton biography) Not only did Bethany Hamilton return to the water one month after the accident, she also placed 5th in a Woman Decision Surfs Contest with only one arm. With her faith and determination she was able to get back in the water and win surfing awards. In conclusion, Bethany Hamilton had faith throughout her whole recovery which soon allowed her to continue surfing.

A hero is someone who inspires, and brings out the better person in someone. A hero is someone who stands up for what she believes in, and someone who is filled with faith. All these traits define my hero, Bethany Hamilton. Bethany is an inspiration to millions around the world to remain positive throughout the hardest times of your life. When something blocks the way of achieving your dreams, remember… my hero Bethany Hamilton.

Bethany Hamiltons Story - My Hero tells us the first time she gets back into the water to surf
Bethany Hamilton - This is my hero's official website
Bethany Hamiltons Recovery - My hero tells us about her whole experience about losing her arm

News Paper, Las Angeles. "Soul Surfers' Bethany Hamilton Rides a Big Screen Wave." [Online] Available ..

Blog Obispo. "The Shark That Bit Bethany Hamilton." [Online] Available ..

Noah, Hamilton. "Bethany Hamilton Bibilography." [Online] Available .

Mallozzi, Vincent. "A Love of SHarks. "New York Times

Brown, Patrica. "Surfer on Her Way Up, Brought Down by a Shark. "New York Times