Bethany Hamilton

by Michelle

Bethany surfing
Bethany surfing

My Hero, Bethany Hamilton.

.  

Did you ever hear of the thirteen year old girl that got attacked by a shark while surfing, but still surfs, even with one arm? Well, that is Bethany Hamilton.  She was born on February 8th, 1990 in Lihue, Hawaii.  She currently lives in Kauai, Hawaii.

Bethany and Alana a few weeks before the attack.  ( ())
Bethany and Alana a few weeks before the attack. ( ())

Give Up? No Way!

On October 31st, Bethany got attacked and 26 days after, November 26th, she surfed again.  This is a HUGE accomplishment. She conquered her fears of the ocean since the shark attack. Then Bethany returned to competition. She took 2nd place at NSSA nationals. Next, in 2009, Bethany launched Friends of Bethany, an organization that supports shark attack survivors and amputees world wide.

She is.

Bethany Hamilton is a fighter.  She fought to surf again and do regular thing with one arm. She is also very courageous. To get back in the water 3 weeks after you get attacked by a shark you have to be very brave. One more trait that I have for Bethany is passion. She has a lot of passion for the sport she loves surfing. Bethany still wanted to surf even with one arm.

Surfboard
Surfboard

My Hero

Bethany is my hero because she, in spite of losing her arm, continued surfing and never looked back at what happened. She kept going and NEVER GAVE UP. Bethany, if you are reading this, I want you to know that you are my hero and that you are very brave. I am your #1 fan.