Bethany Hamilton

by Nicole from Selden

A hero is anyone who influences your life in a positive way. A hero can be a family member, a celebrity, or even a friend. In my case Bethany Hamilton is the Hero. Bethany was born on February 8, 1990 in Hawaii. She has been surfing since she has been about six years old. Her whole family surfs. She has two brothers. Their names are Noah and Timmy. They are both older than her. Her mom and dad have been surfing since they were kids too. Their names are Cheri and Tom.

<a href=http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/dailypix/2003/Nov/01/homepage_b.jpg>Bethany's board</a>
Bethany's board

My hero is Bethany Hamilton. Bethany is my hero because when she was just 13(The age I am now)when something terrible happened to her. On October 31st Bethany was surfing with her friend Alana and Alana's dad and while she was paddling out she got her left arm bitten off by a 14 foot tiger shark. Alana's dad rushed into the water as Bethany used her right arm to paddle back to the shore. Bleeding profusely from a gash that was about 16 inches long and 8 inches wide Bethany's life was at stake. With her life at stake, thinking quickly Alana's dad took a surf leash and used it to stop her arm from bleeding. That day Bethany lost around 70 percent of her blood. Bethany was rushed to Wilcox Memorial hospital where her father, Tom, was scheduled for knee surgery. There she took his place in the operating room. Bethany had lost her left arm that day.

Bethany inspires me not only because of her determination but also because of her ability to take something this humongous and horrific and just turn it around. Bethany has shown me that if you try your hardest and if you believe in yourself you can do anything you set your mind and heart on. Bethany, now 16, is an entrepreneur. Bethany has started her own line of perfume called "Stoked" and Bethany also has an enormous line of accessories that are sold at Claires.

Here is the <a href=http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/1416503463.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V56502154_.jpg>cover</a> of her book, too
Here is the cover of her book, too

Bethany also wrote a book called �Soul Surfer.� This book describes her life before, during, and after the tragic shark attack. This book will be turned into a movie and I heard that Jamie Lynn Spears might be playing the lead part as Bethany. What happened to Bethany that day doesn�t happen very often. The attack made Bethany�s relationship with God a lot stronger. She dedicated her book to God, her family and her friend Alana�s family.

Bethany Hamilton is not only my hero but she is a hero to many others too. She has won the hearts of thousands, maybe even millions of people around the world. Bethany goes to visit soldiers who have missing limbs at military hospitals. She even goes places and talks about experiences to kids all over the world. She even signs autographs on free time. With all this to and then more at home, she still manages to inspire the world by following her dream in being an excellent surfer.