Bethany Hamilton

by Michelle from Marietta

Do you have any idea who Bethany Hamilton is? Well she is a strong women who survived thoughtout many adventures. Bethany Hamilton was born on Feb.8. 1990 in Kauai, Hawaii. When she was 5 years old her parents Cheri Hamilton,Tom Hamilton and her brother Noah Hamilton instilled their faith in Jesus Christ. Then she started to surf when she was eight years old and entered a surfing competition and won. She wanted to be a professional surfer. Unfortunately when she was 13 years old she got bit by a 14-foot tiger shark! She got bit while surfing in Kauai's North Shore.

One month after she returned to the water to follow her dream of being a professional surfer, on Jan. 2004, she got 5th place in the open Women's Division, 1st place in the Women's Division of the 2005 NSSA national championship, second place finish in the ASP 2009 World junior championships.

She is alive and she goes all over the world to follow her dreams. She sacrifices her life, and time to travel all over the world. She has faith, and believed that she would be a professional surfer. She also has courage, because she was scared of sharks but she was brave and followed her dream so she is my hero!!!!!!!!!!