Bethany Hamilton

by Jordyn Lauria

Bethany Hamilton

Bethany Hamilton is an inspiration to many people in the world. Here is her story...

Bethany Hamilton is a pro surfer. She has been surfing since she was 3 years old, real surfing at 5. She entered her first competition at the age of 8.

October 31, 2003 Bethany went surfing. About a half hour after she was in the water she got attacked by a 14 foot tiger shark.

After about two weeks of recovery in the hospital Bethany was back in the water! Surfing!

Ever since then Bethany has been surfing professionally with only one arm. She is now an inspiration to the world.

Bethany Hamilton is a pro surfer. On Halloween morning 2003, Bethany was going surfing with her friend Alana Blanchard, Alana's dad and Alana's brother. About 30 minutes after they were out in the water, Bethany caught a wave and in that wave was a 14 foot tiger shark that bit Bethany's left arm off just below her shoulder. Now Bethany is surfing with one arm. She is now 21 years old and an inspiration to the world!