Benito Juarez

by Jackie from Lawndale

"Among individuals as among nations, the respect to other people's right is peace."
Benito Juarez (http://www.fact-archive.com/encyclopedia/upload/thumb/2/2a/250px-BenitoJuarez.jpg)

A hero to me is a special person who is inspirational and a leader. This statement best explains my hero, Benito Juarez. He dedicated his life making peace since the Revolution started in Mexico. Juarez showed people to respect other people’s rights as a human. This made certain parts of Mexico better and united. He is mostly known for becoming an outstanding president and encouraging Mexicans to be courteous with others. Benito Juarez worked hard to earn the respect he got. Today he is still remembered as a famous national hero who made changes.

To begin with, Benito Pablo Juarez Garcia was born March 21, 1806 in San Pablo Guelatao, Oaxaca, Mexico. Unfortunately his parents died when Benito was three years old. He was a Zapoteco Indian and did not speak Spanish. As a poor peasant he went off to live with his grandparents then his uncle. While growing up he decided to search for an early career. Benito Juarez originally studied to be involved in the priesthood after a period of time he began studying for a law degree. Later in 1831 he received his law degree and began his political career. Ten years later he was a judge who represented Oaxaca as the governor of the state.

At a young age Benito was poor but cared about political power than riches. Benito was at exile in New Orleans working in a cigarette factory. After his moment of exile he returned to Mexico to continue his life. He rose up to his dreams and got married with Margarita Maza in 1843. After his marriage he still continued to take his responsibility in his political life. He did not want any part in the war with the United States. Benito was still in charge for some activities in the war between Mexico and U.S.A. He got elected president during 1861 after the conservatives lost power. Benito becoming president he knew he had to step up and lead his country.

Benito Juarez truly believed “Among individuals as among nations, the respect to other people’s right is peace.” During his political career he promoted the equal rights for the Indian population, the rural poor, the Roman Catholic Church, for better health care and education. He was responsible for approving the loan to finance the war with the United States. Besides being president he became director of the Institute of Science and Art. He stood for autonomous Mexico governed by the people. Most of all, Benito helped Mexico establish itself as a constitutional democracy. He overthrew the French occupation that made Mexican citizens confident to have him as a president. In all, Juarez was still focusing on helping his country develop into a stronger community.

Coming to an end, Benito Juarez died of a heart attack on July 17, 1872. He influenced many people including myself to reach for your dreams. Benito accomplished several goals during his presidential time. He is someone I can look upon when I need inspiration. Juarez was outgoing, courageous, and most of all helpful when his country needed him. He made me realize the potential it takes a person to be a leader. Benito Juarez will always be my hero even though he doesn’t live. I will continue supporting Benito’s ideas because I believe it helped a lot.