Brian Lynch

by Jackson from Essex Junction

Gym class ( (Jackson Emery))
Gym class ( (Jackson Emery))

I chose to interview Brian Lynch. Brian is a very good role model for kids and is very involved in volunteering for several organizations and events. Brian started student teaching at my middle school, Albert D. Lawton (ADL) this year as a gym teacher. He teaches many classes in gym throughout the school day and also participates in many activities and events.

Brian is a hard working guy, and is really fun to be around. He was born in Worcester, Massachusetts on November 25, 1991. He has one brother and one sister. Brian went to a school called Worcester Academy. Worcester Academy is a private co-ed day and boarding school for grade 6 to grade 12 and postgraduates. He played both baseball and hockey when he was in high school. He was a captain for both of these teams. Brian soon got a hockey scholarship to Worcester State University in Massachusetts. Brian is now taking some classes at UVM, but is still student teaching as a gym teacher.

One of the things that Brian volunteers for is our ADL basketball team. He worked one-on-one with the players to improve their skills. He helped run drills with the team. Brian helped for most of the basketball season. One of Brian's favorites highlights as a volunteer was when the ADL boys' basketball team made it to the championship. Brian is now currently volunteering for the ADL baseball team.

Brian is also very connected with volunteering for many other organizations. Back in Brian's hometown, he teaches kids how to ice skate. He is also part of the G.A.N.G (Gang Awareness Next Generation), Project Purple, and volunteers at an autism resource center. Brian is most connected with the autism resource center because his cousin has autism. Brian's mom works at the resource center. At the resource center, they serve all families in the area who choose to utilize the center for support groups, workshops, clinics, and conferences. Brian takes autism very seriously. Brian and his family do many fundraising events such as the 5k walk for autism and for Spread the Word End the Word (R word.) Brian encourages other people to pledge and he personally pledges to not use the word "retard". His whole family no longer uses the word and Brian has stopped his three roommates from using it. His roommates have spread the word to their friends and families which has helped to spread the word.

Basketball fun ( ())
Basketball fun ( ())

Brian has one very important goal. This is to help kids become respectful, responsible, adults. Brian has a very challenging disorder. Brian is clinically diagnosed with severe PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder.) This hinders Brian's ability to complete daily activities and responsibilities. His PTSD makes him take meds that make him very tired. I admire Brian because he doesn't use his PTSD as an excuse; instead he has found ways to help others who have similar challenges. Click on the link at the bottom for Brian's mothers donation page that just started up.

First Giving, HMEA - HMEA's 13th Annual Independence 5K/Walk