Bob Marley

by India from San Diego

Bob Marley enjoying life. (http://www.bobmarley.com/media/videos/interviews-d ())

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" (Bob Marley).  Bob Marley's goal in life, even when he was not making music, was to spread positivity and world peace. Bob was born in Nine Miles, Saint Ann, Jamaica and was moved around a lot during his childhood after his father died in 1955. His father's death was a very big shock for their family, which left them in some financial trouble after his passing. After his father's death, Bob started to make his own music with his band and his career grew from there. His lyrics that preached peace and love had a great impact on the world. Even though he may have come from a rough background and had a rough childhood, his passion for music lead him to great success in his music career. Bob Marley, one of the most influential musicians in history, lived his life with passion and ambition which make him a great inspiration and role model.

Bob Marley playing the guitar. (http://www.largeup.com/2014/04/02/legend-shepard-f ())

Bob Marley's passion for music drove him to amazing heights. From inspiring people around the globe, to the haters who never thought he would get his message across through his music, Bob's passion for music never died out.  

Bob Marley's enthusiastic love of people and music has awarded him great accolades and respect.

On June 15, 1978, Marley was presented with the Third World Peace Medal by all the African delegations to the United Nations for his work on human rights. Soon after the singer made a pilgrimage to Africa. The trip instilled in him new hope for black unity worldwide and brought a militant edginess and explicit Pan-African bent back to his music. ("Bob Marley." St. James)

Bob's music has such a heavy influence around the globe that he was recognized worldwide with not only a medal but the love and support of his fans around the world. His uplifting and positive spirit, not only from his song lyrics, but his overall positive attitude, helped his drive to spread world love and peace to grow uncontrollably. His lyrics helped bring hope to the world by uniting everyone as one. Even the countries that were going through tough times resonated with his music. Bob's music was loved by many but also criticized by those unaware of the social movements in society;

At the time, reggae was still considered unsophisticated slum music that could never be appreciated by non-Jamaican audiences. Blackwell had a deep interest in the music, however, and because he felt that the Wailers were the one group who could popularize reggae internationally, he offered them a contract and marketed their first Island album, Catch a Fire, just as he would any rock band. ("Bob Marley." Contemporary )

Bob Marley's music inspired many people to stand up and fight for what they believe was right. Many different countries worldwide looked at his music as a source of inspiration, while on the flip side, a lot of people couldn't understand his music style and its positive effect it had on society. Throughout his life Bob saw social injustice in many parts of the world and his music was a healing force worldwide. Bob continued pursuing and eventually he found individuals to help accomplish his ultimate goal of spreading world peace. Bob Marley's music created a loving world around caring, empathy, and understanding.

Bob Marleys serious face. (http://pastdaily.com/2014/08/16/bob-marley-the-wai ())

Bob Marley's humanitarian efforts put him in constant danger with those who opposed him. Bob stopped at nothing to preach what he believed in, no matter how severe the consequences were. For example:

On December 3, 1976, shortly before the concert was to take place, seven gunmen, suspected to be henchmen of the Jamaican Labour Party, stormed Marley's home. Marley, his wife Rita, and their manager Don Taylor were all injured in the ensuing gunfire. Despite the assassination attempt, the concert went on as scheduled. ("Bob Marley." Contemporary)

Bob Marley's persistence to spread his powerful lyrics stopped at nothing. He was once shot hours before a concert but still had the fortitude to perform. He understood the consequences of going out to perform the day after his assassination attempt. There could be another attempt on his life but he was willing to sacrifice his life for his cause. His ambitious mind set for world peace fueled him everyday to do what he loved.  Not even injury could stop his determination to keep him moving forward. "Unable to strum his familiar brown solid-body Gibson guitar because of his arm injury, Marley murmured that he would sing "one song" (White). Bob Marley may have been injured, but his positive thinking and uplifting song lyrics kept him in a state of mind that no one could stop him, no matter the consequences he would face. Bob's injury may have limited him physically but mentally he knew what he had to do to keep moving in a forward direction. His ambitious mindset lead him to do some things that many people would say were crazy, from performing on stage after he was almost assassinated, to being injured hours before he decided to go on and still play, Bob's ambitious mindset drove him in the direction of success.

Bob Marley singing in a concert. (http://forthdistrict.com/bob-marley-changed-world/ ())

One of the most important characteristics that all heroes share is their ability to be passionate about whatever they love. To be ambitious and shoot for their dreams / goals, which is exactly what Bob Marley accomplished. Bob's passion to spread love and positivity through his music led him to become one of the greatest musicians of all time. His message impacted many lives and encouraged others to spread peace to the world and to stand up for what they believe in which makes him an inspiration to many. Bob's revolutionary lyrics were outstanding. As said by the New York Times, "The music, with its message of protest, was described by the New York Times as having "syncopated rhythms, Caribbean lilt, American black soul, [and] biblical chanting"  (Sims, Lillian S. "Robert Nesta Marley."). His dedication to music and changing the world through his lyrics rose him to inspire many individuals. His incredible ability to affects the people around him with his music is what made him known as one of the best and most influential musicians of all time.

"Bob Marley"

"Bob Marley." Contemporary Musicians, vol. 3, Gale, 1990. Student Resources in Context,

link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1608000206/SUIC?u=powa9245&xid=a8deb2ea. Accessed 27 Apr. 2017.       

"Bob Marley." St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture, Gale, 2013. Biography in Context,

link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K2419200791/BIC1?u=powa9245&xid=cd06f610. Accessed 27 Apr. 2017.

Sims, Lillian S. "Robert Nesta Marley." Contemporary Authors Online, Gale, 2004. Biography in                  

Context,link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/H1000064219/BIC1?u=powa9245&xid=220e3997. Accessed 1 May 2017.      

White, Timothy. Catch a Fire: the Life of Bob Marley. New York, Henry Holt, 2006.    

Bob Marley - You can find more information about Bob Marley and his personal life on this website.
About Bob Marley - A collection of information on Bob Marleys life.
The Life and Times of Bob Marley - A summary of Bob Marleys motivations / life story.