Bob Marley

by Nathan from San Diego

(http://iphonewalls.net/celebrities-guys/bob-marley ())

"While working on Exodus, Marley and the Wailers recorded songs that were later released on the album Kaya (1978). With love as its theme, the work featured two hits: 'Satisfy My Soul' and 'Is This Love.' Also in 1978, Marley returned to Jamaica to perform his One Love Peace Concert, where he got Prime Minister Michael Manley of the PNP and opposition leader Edward Seaga of the JLP to shake hands on stage" ("Bob Marley"). Bob Marley, a Rastafarian singer, was a dropout who became one of the biggest reggae musicians in the world. Bob Marley (Nesta Robert Marley) was born February 6, 1945. Bob Marley lived in a government-subsidized in his teen years. In the early 1960's, Marley was exposed to music including jazz-infected shuffle-beat rhythms of ska. Marley, Tosh, and Wailer made the Wailers coached by Joe Higgs. It's named the Wailers because Bob Marley stated that they were all crying. Later, the Wailers included Junior Braithwaite, Beverly Kelso, and Cherry Green to sing with them as back-up singers. In 1966, Marley married Rita Anderson, an 18-year-old member of the up and coming Jamaican singing group. Marley eventually fathered as many as nine children in his lifetime, although many of his children had different mothers. Bob Marley made many different songs. Some songs are, "No Women No Cry," "Exodus," "Could You Be Loved," "Coming in from the Cold," "Jamming," and "Redemption song". Bob Marley had albums too like Dread, Live!, Rastaman, Vibration, Exodus, Kaya, Uprising, and the posthumous Confrontation. In 1976, an assassination attempt had happened, shooting Bob Marley and his wife, Rita. In 1978, Bob Marley had been presented with the third World Peace Award. Soon after he obtained the award, the singer made a pilgrimage to Africa. After receiving the Jamaican Order of Merit under new Prime Minister Edward Seaga, Bob Marley died in Miami on May 11, 1981. Bob Marley was known after his death within his songs. His work became the best-selling reggae music ever, selling 12 million copies of Legend. A hero must keep peace between the world and each other, and be a good influence to others by their jobs and how they act. Bob Marley is considered a hero because he is influential in his work and the way he acts and he keeps peace within others through his music.

(http://frontpagesecrets.com/fallece-bob-marley/ ())

Bob Marley is influential within all of his songs, making his legacy form in his reggae music. He also influenced people by looking out for others and being a first-class musician who influenced people with his music and his life. "Marley, Bob" supports my claim that Bob Marley is influential as can be seen in the quote; "Marley's influence on music was monumental. Reggae captured the emerging, youthful, rebellious, and confident pulse of the Third World, but its infectious beat also captured the attention of youth in the United States and Europe. The dreadlocks Marley wore also became popular with young people in many countries, standing as a cultural symbol of defiance. But Marley's legacy went far beyond his music to include his spiritual and political crusades, which were always interwoven into his songs" (Marley). This quote shows that Marley's reggae music influenced the Third World and infectiously spread onto those in the United States. Bob Marley has a reigning legacy today including his youthful, rebellious music and his symbol of defiance. His music was played from his spiritual and political crusades. Bob Marley influenced others with his fashion and his way of making music. Bob Marley's dreadlocks are a symbol that is still worn by young adults even 'till now. The author explains Bob Marley as someone who cares in the quote; "Biographer Stephen Davis notes that Marley regularly received supplicants from the ghetto in his compound on Jamaica's exclusive Hope Road, and he dispensed favors and money freely, thereby gaining a reputation as the friend and helper of Jamaica's poor" (Nash). This quote shows us that Bob Marley wasn't only a songwriter, a singer and a producer. He was also a person who would help others in need. He gave money to others and sang for peace in the world. Bob Marley was recognized as a friend and helper of Jamaica's poor. Whenever Jamaica needed help, he would assist the people of Jamaica. He received supplicants and returned the favor with other favors and money. This shows that Bob Marley was an influence to other with his music and being an outstanding person. Bob Marley's influence still exists with his reggae music today.

(http://www.firstpost.com/bollywood/bob-marleys-son ())

Bob Marley is an amazing peacekeeper, who showed his peace in the world with his medals, music, and heart. He made a unity and peace between him and the world. Another essential point made by Henderson says that Bob Marley wanted unity in the quote, "In 1965, however, Marley recorded an antidote to such militant anthems with "One Love," a song that distilled Rastafarian teachings and called for unity, peace, and love. These would be recurring themes throughout Marley's career: taking to the streets in strong protest against injustice tempered by a philosophy of non-violence and racial unity" (Marley). Bob Marley had also tried to keep peace within Jamaican authorities. He kept peace making his songs like 'One Love' forming a unity between authorities and the "rude boys". Bob Marley would protest how things are injustice by using his songs to have a non-violence unity and made authorities understand the "rude boys". He would take over the streets of Jamaica with his love and peace. Bob Marley keeping peace is observed when he received medals in the quote, "Shortly before his death, Marley received the Order of Merit from the Jamaican government. He had also been awarded the Medal of Peace from the United Nations in 1980. More than 30,000 people paid their respects to the musician during his memorial service, held at the National Arena in Kingston, Jamaica. Rita Marley, Marcia Griffiths, Judy Mowatt sang and the Wailers performed at the ceremony" ("Bob Marley"). In Bob Marley's lifetime, he had been given the Order of Merit and the Medal of Peace. He was adored by many others, and he kept peace within his songs, dreaming of peace and love in the whole world. He shared his love in his music, making 30,000 people respect him for his music. His music kept peace with others with his music sharing his love to the world and the world had given it back in time. Bob Marley kept peace with authorities and the "rude boys" and formed a unity with his music. Bob Marley is remembered as a peaceful and interesting musician. He was given Medals for his peacefulness and dreamt of one peace in the world.

Bob Marley shares his peace and love with everyone, earning him medals for keeping peace within the world. Marley is also influential to everyone with his music and his Rastafarian heart. Bob Marley grew up to be a musician who spread his word throughout the world. Bob Marley was tired of how music producers would not let Bob Marley do the type of music that he intended on doing. So instead of following Sims, one of his many producers, he decided that he will open his own record studio. This studio was called Wail 'N' Soul 'M', after making this record studio, the Wailers and the Soulettes made a label. Bob Marley was tired of something that did not feel right, so he did it in his own way and returned to reggae instead of doing rock. He is one of the most famous reggae musicians in the world, even till today. 

"Bob Marley." St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture. Ed. Sara Pendergast and Tom Pendergast. Detroit: St. James Press, 2000. Biography in Context. Web. 5 May 2014.

"Bob Marley Biography." Bio.com. Ed. Laura Grimm, Leanne French, and Eudie Pak. A&E Networks Television

http://www.biography.com/people/bob-marley-9399524, 2014. Web. 08 May 2014.

Nash, William R. "Bob Marley." American National Biography (2010): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web. 5 May 2014.

"Marley, Bob." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Ed. Andrea Henderson. 2nd ed. Vol. 24. Detroit: Gale, 2005. 239-241. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 5 May 2014.

Moskowitz, David V. Bob Marley: A Biography. Westport, CT: Greenwood, 2007. Print.

Timothy Thomas Anthony, White. "Marley, Bob." Britannica Biographies (2012): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web. 5 May 2014.