Bridget Meyer

by Devon from Essex Junction

Bridget Mayer lives in Essex Junction, VT. She has been living here for about 12 years! Bridget's volunteer work involves working at the Chittenden Emergency Food Shelf. I think she's really a great person because she has been helping people her whole life. She grew up around helping people and her kids grew up around that area. She's been volunteering ever since the 50's. She really devoted herself to helping others when she retired. It shocked me to know how much she's donated her time. I've never seen someone so devoted to helping others. It seems like she has been volunteering her whole life which is really amazing. Bridget serves about 200 people regularly on Sunday nights. Bridget says that she loves volunteering, and she gets back much more than she gives, and I don't doubt it.

Bridget doesn't just work at the Chittenden Food Shelf, she donates her time in lots of other places too like the library and her local food shelf! She has worked at the Brownell Library for 12 years now helping sort books and stocking book sales. She helped start a Five Corners Farmers Market and was in the FCFM board for 4 years. She was on the Essex Junction Recreation and Parks Rec Advisory Committee for 10 years. She was on the Essex Heart and Soul Committee for the 2 years; Essex received a Heart and Soul community building grant from the Orton Foundation. She volunteers at the Heavenly Pantry Food Shelf here in Essex. She's on the Essex Eats Out Committee which provides a weekly ( every Friday) free community dinner. She was on The CHIPS (an organization that helps bring kids together) board for 5 years and volunteered in the after school program. The list goes on and on!

It's really nice knowing that there are still people out there that are so dedicated to others. When I first interviewed Bridget, I was just looking for a story to write to get a grade on a paper, but I was really surprised when I saw that she did all of this stuff. I was expecting to get a response about the Food Shelf she worked at. But I found out that there was a lot more to her than I thought. That's why she's my hero.