Barack Hussein Obama, Jr.

by Shaste from Cordova

My definition of a hero is someone who takes on a challenge that is selfless and benefits others. Barack Obama took on the job to become president when our country was in troubled times. Our country was in a recession, fighting two wars and people around the world were unhappy with Americans. He did not want to become president because it was an honor; he wanted to become president to make life better for the American people.

Obama’s father was from Kenya and his Mother his mother was from Kansas. Obama father and mother met in college in Hawaii, and six months after they got married, Barack Jr was born. He grew up in Hawaii with his mother’s grandparents. He studied political science at Columbia University and graduated in 1983.

He went to work as a community organizer for poor people in Chicago. In 1991 he graduated from Harvard Law School. He did very good in Law school and became the first African America editor of the Harvard Law review. After Law school Obama returned to Law school and worked in Civil Rights Law. He also worked on Bill Clinton’s 1992 presidential campaign and got married in 1992. He has two young daughters.

Barack Obama became the 44th and current President of the United States. He assumed office in January 20th, 2009 and moving into the White House. He is the first African American to hold the office. Barack Obama is a smart, well-spoken, brave, forward–thinking leader. I admire him because he was one of the only politicians that said that the war in Iraq was wrong. Another reason I admire him is that he is family-oriented, likes to keep fit by exercising and eating right, and he is not a bragger about being the President. In addition, he has written two books; “The Audacity of Hope” and “Dreams from my Father”.

I think the main inspiration I take from President Barack Obama is his vision to make the world a better place. He has inspired individual people not to just sit back and do nothing; we can get involved in our neighborhoods, our communities, our states, and the world and make a difference. I try to make a difference by cleaning up the harbor. It is not always fun but it is very rewarding. President Barack Obama stands for the true meaning of HOPE for a better tomorrow.