Bobby Orr

by Mitchell from Calgary

"The biggest thing we get out of it is seeing the kids smile. And hopefully we will also see that the lessons we're teaching - not only the fundamentals of hockey, but also the life values - are sinking in."
A web that describe's some of Bobby's attributes (I made it on a website called mind mister)

I chose Bobby Orr because in my opinion he was the best of the best in hockey; almost like Seal Team 6, as they are the best of the best of warriors. Bobby had 296 goals and 711 assists and 953 penalty minutes in all of his junior and NHL years. After his years in the NHL were over Bobby was and still is a good guy, as he donates lots to charity. So ya that's why I chose number 4, Bobby Orr. My book is a biography written by John Devaney. There are lots of books on Bobby Orr, even an autobiography book. My book was written in 1973 and it is 41 years old and it's called The Bobby Orr Story. This book is 160 pages long and when you are reading it you are thinking, "hey that's a very short book!" Well there are about 10 pages of just pictures and the print is very, very small. The Bobby Orr Story book covers Bobby's life from about age 4 to when his knee injury causes him to retire, so in my mind that's about half of his life. This book was published in 1973, so like I said earlier its 41 years old. Some interesting facts about Mr. Devaney, the author, first one is that he served in World War 2, he died in 1994, in Manhattan because of prostate cancer he was 68. In his life time he wrote 80 books most of which were non-fiction works, he wrote lots of biography books like Presidents Roosevelt, Lyndon B. Johnson and Ronald Reagan and many more.

A portrait picture of Bobby Orr that i drew  (My hand drew it)
A portrait picture of Bobby Orr that i drew (My hand drew it)

Bobby Orr was born on March 20, 1948 in Parry Sound, ON. Bobby grew up there until 1966. He then moved to Boston, Mass. and still lives there today. Bobby has 2 sisters and 2 brothers, their names are Patricia, Ronnie, Penny and Doug Jr. Bobby was the third child, Patricia was the oldest then Ronnie Bobby's oldest brother then it's Bobby, then Penny Bobby's youngest sister then last but not lest Doug Jr. Doug Orr, Bobby's father, who also had an opportunity to suit up with the Boston Bruins at the age of 18, but Canada was at war in WW II, and Doug Orr decided to sign up with the Canadian Navy to do his part for his country. Sadly Doug Orr died in 2007 he 82 and his wife, also in 2000 Arva Orr died at the age of 78 after a lengthy battle with cancer. The couple had been married 53 years at the time of her death. Bobby went to a school in Parry Sound until he moved to Oshawa to play with them for junior where he went to McLaughlin High School. When Bobby wasn't at school he was skating and playing hockey. When he was older he did his homework, then hockey then hanging out with friends. Here are some interesting stories. During his first season in Junior, the Oshawa Generals played an exhibition game in Parry Sound against the Junior B Shamrocks, who then had Bobby's older brother Ronnie, as part of their lineup. During the game, a huge fight broke out, players squared off around the ice and the Orr brothers found themselves standing face to face. They did what hockey players, brothers or not, are supposed to do in such circumstances. They fought, and Bobby dropped brother Ron flat on his back. Here's another story following a 1968 hockey game at the Boston Garden, a fan's car was stuck in a snowdrift in the rear parking lot. The fan spent a lot of time trying to free the car from the snow but to no avail. After a while, as it was getting darker and colder, a young man approached him and volunteered to help him. While the snow continued to fall, the kind Samaritan said, "you steer, I'll push." After twenty minutes of pushing back and forth, the car was finally freed. The fan got out of his car to thank the soaked young man and discovered that his helper was none other than the famous Bobby Orr. I thought those were some pretty funny stories so I shared them. Probably the people that influenced Bobby most were his Mom and Dad, his siblings, his friends, and his teachers. Bobby's biggest dream was to play in NHL and everyone knew he would make it. He was the best in his town! Bobby always knew what he wanted to be ever since his dad Doug put him on skates. After his career was over Bobby became a NHL agent. I think when his Dad put him on skates that influenced his entire career and maybe all of his family and friends cheering him on influenced his decisions.

A picture that show's Bobby Orr in action  (I drew it )
A picture that show's Bobby Orr in action (I drew it )

In his early years Bobby had very few challenges. He was always good in school, by the time he was 15, everybody in the NHL wanted him. He didn't get bullied, he had lots of friends and no problem with girls (if you know what I mean) but his biggest challenge was his knee. It put him out of hockey! Bobby never fully overcame his knee injury. He can still walk and skate even though he had over a dozen of surgery's but yes I think he overcame 75% of his knee problem's. I think Bobby played in the NHL because his entire town, friends, family were expecting him to play and Bobby thought it was fun! Bobby Orr had many good qualities like the fact he never gave up in the game no matter how much his knee hurt. He was a true goal scorer. You have to agree that he is a great goal scorer. He scored 270 goals and 645 assists in 657 games and he is defiantly resilient! Did you see or even hear about the hits that's you get in the NHL and after all of that he springs back into action takes the puck and scores. Like I said earlier Bobby's biggest weakness is his knee. It was very difficult to skate and even walk and can't even imagine the pain of training and being a NHL player with a very bad knee. Here is one last story. Bobby Orr shows why he was such a gift to us, took place in Oakland, California. In a 1975 game against the Golden Seals, Orr took control of the puck while killing a penalty. He circled a couple of times then rushed up the right side and shot. The goalie, Gary Smith, made the save and the puck popped in the air. While the puck floated in mid-air about chest level, Orr flicked his blade and the red light went on. For the first time in major sports history, BOTH teams stood and applauded. That is the type of respect that #4. Bobby Orr has, so many awards I'm probably going to miss some but he is some of them: 1967 Wins the Calder Trophy for rookie of the year 1967 NHL Second Team All-Star 1968-75 NHL All-Star Team 1968-75 Wins Norris Trophy for best defenseman the first time 1970 Stanley Cup 1970 Named Sports Illustrated's Sportsman of the Year 1970 Won the scoring title with 120 points, twenty-one points above the runner-up; first defenseman ever to win the scoring title 1970 Lou Marsh Trophy for outstanding Canadian male athlete 1970-72 Hart Trophy as League MVP 1970, 1972 Conn Smythe Trophy for outstanding player in the playoffs 1970, 1975 Art Ross Trophy 1972 Stanley Cup 1973 Wins the scoring title 1975 Wins Lester B. Pearson Award 1976 Canada Cup All-Star Team 1976 Canada Cup MVP 1979 Lester Patrick Trophy 1979 Inducted into Hockey Hall of Fame

I'm Thinking (I drew it )
I'm Thinking (I drew it )

I learned so much about Bobby Orr and his family. I was a little disappointed that his NHL years were over so soon he could have played for 7-8 more years, but his knee was hurting before the game, in the game, after the game. "Things that I did easily on the ice I could not do anymore," - Bobby Orr. Bobby retired at age 30 so that means he had 12 years in the NHL. I am happy that when Bobby left the NHL he was still connected; he is an NHL player agent. What surprised me the most was how much money he has and how famous he is. He still gives back to the commute especially the hockey community, every once and a while he coaches the Orr and Cherry all-star game. He won last week (2015) and he gives a lot of his money to charity. If I meet Bobby Orr I would probably fall on the floor and faint, but if I were to ask him 4 questions they would be: Do you mind I take a selfie with you I want to show my friends? Second one what was I like to be flying in the air when you scored the famous goal? Next one how happy were you when you one your first Stanly cup? Last one as a young defenseman myself do have any advice for me? The Bobby Orr story is a very good book. I had to get some information online because this book was published when Bobby was about to retire. It covered all of his growing up and Most of his NHL years but overall it's a good book. I learned a lot about Bobby and his family in this book like when he started skating all the way to where Mr. Devaney explaining his surgeries. This book even explains a bit on hockey so there is a lot to learn in this book.This book will influence you to be good and do something to improve the world of hockey no matter what, so what I'm saying here is this book grows on you fast. Maybe people who don't follow hockey or people that don't like short books or people that don't want to learn about the history of the game maybe this book isn't for you. I am very happy to say that I enjoyed learning about Bobby Orr because he is simply a hero. After reading the book I would look up to Bobby no matter what because he has done so many good things in his life. One last fact about Bobby Orr when he retired his agent Allan Eagleson robbed all his money so after he retired as the greatest hockey player ever, he had no money to support himself or his family. As only Bobby could and would, Bobby proved to be a survivor. He reinvented himself into a great agent and businessman and today worth over 40 million dollars. That's what I call a survivor and successful!

Amazon - If you want to buy this book click there
Wikipedia - This is were i got some of my info
NHL.com - Here are his stats
The Canadian Encyclopedia - This is some more info
Hall Of Fame - Last little bit of info on him