Bob Ross

by Darby from Cincinnati

A piece one of Ross's fans painted. (Flickr (Randen Pederson))

Bob Ross was a landscape artist who taught his technique on his show, The Joy of Painting. Ross was a very peaceful and benign person, and he believed that everyone could make a good work of art. He wanted to teach people to enjoy painting. Unfortunately, Ross was diagnosed with lymphoma and died at 52 years old on July 4, 1995. Ross was a hero because he inspired others and taught them to have fun while making art.

In The Joy of Painting, Bob Ross painted landscapes, describing how to paint them like he did. He was always encouraging to the people who watched him. Ross insisted that anyone could make a beautiful painting, guiding his viewers along as he dotted leaves, carved mountains and cleared out forest paths. Ross taught that it was important to an open and hopeful mind, because "'that's where it starts. You have to believe in yourself'" (Shrieves). However, Ross didn't only want people to paint - he wanted them to enjoy it, and have fun.

Bob Ross painted with quiet enthusiasm. Even in the first episode of the show, he was "using those friendly Bob-isms that made him famous" (Hajek). His fluffy clouds drifted around mighty mountains, and his happy trees sat with their friends. It almost seemed as if you could step into the landscape. Ross made his paintings seem alive, and he always said that people watching could do the same. In many episodes in his show, he said that the most important thing to do while painting was to have fun, not to agonize over every detail.

A hero is someone that people can look up to and admire. Heroes inspire others, whether that be through their words, actions or both. Bob Ross fit this definition perfectly. He was a man of wise words and he insisted that anyone could make a work of art they were proud of. He taught people to enjoy art, and not to worry about it. Bob Ross was definitely a hero.

A chalk depiction of Bob Ross. (Public Domain Pictures (Junior Libby))

Works Cited "Bob Ross: 13 Happy Little Facts About the Iconic PBS Painter." Biography. A&E Networks Television, 29 Oct. 2015. Web. 20 Dec. 2016. Hajek, Danny. "The Real Bob Ross: Meet The Meticulous Artist Behind Those Happy Trees." NPR. NPR, 29 Aug. 2016. Web. 20 Dec. 2016. Jinaraj, Liji. Bob Ross - Chalk Art. 2007. N.p. Pederson, Randen. Bob Ross Attempt. 2015. N.p. Shrieves, Linda. "Bob Ross Uses His Brush To Spread Paint And Joy." Orlando Sentinel. Orlando Sentinel, 07 July 1990. Web. 20 Dec. 2016.

Bob Ross Painting Index - This shows the pieces Bob Ross painted in ''The Joy of Painting."
Bob Ross - This is the website of Bob Ross''s company, Bob Ross Inc.