Burt Munro

by Abigail from Kapiti, New Zealand

Burt Monro (motorcyclemuseum.org)
Burt Monro (motorcyclemuseum.org)

Herbert James Munro also known as 'Burt Munro' holds the world's fastest Land Speed Record of today. Burt grew up on a farm in Edendale which is in the far south of New Zealand, with his two sisters Eva (the eldest), Ruby (Burt's twin who died at birth) and Florence (the youngest) also not to forget Burt's older brother called Ernie. One of Burt's memorable childhood events was when his father took him on a steam train into Invercargill. Burt's older brother Enrie died shortly after Burt's trip into Invercargill due to a tree falling on him. When Burt was 14 his father bought an electricity generator, this was the point when Burt started experimenting with trees and other various objects whilst trying to make a crafted skeleton frame observed from a plane's wing. Burt succeeded by making the contraption fly. One day whilst Burt was in the nearby village, this was when he saw an unusual bike. This bike was like no other, it was much larger and it moved like an eel, very quickly.  Also, this specific bike had its own motor attached. The bike seen in the village this day reminded Burt every day onwards.

In 1938, Burt set his first Speed Record in New Zealand on his Indian Scout motorcycle.

1962 - Set a World Land Speed Record at the Bonneville Salt Flats on the Indian Scout motor cycle, Burt reached up to 178.8mph. At this point the engine on his motor cycle bored out to 850cc.

1967 - Set the world's fastest Land Speed Record which is still on record today, at the Bonneville Salt Flats and the Indian Scout motor cycle bored out to 950cc. Burt managed to get his motor cycle to 183.58mph setting the New Speed Record for sub 1000cc in motor cycle class. During Burt's qualifying run he got up to 190.07mph.

1978 January 6th - Burt died due to natural causes and his bike was sent down to a Motor Cycle show.

2005 - A popular true story based film was made about Burt Munro's adventure throughout his life and was called "The World's Fastest Indian".

2006 - Herbert James Munro was put in the World's Motor Cycle Hall Of Fame.

Throughout Burt's life time he set many New Zealand Land Speed Records in the 1940/1950's. In 1962 Burt went on this first trip to Bonneville and set a Land Speed Record of 178.97mph. After this success Burt returned to the Bonneville salt Flats a further eight times and set another two world records for Land Speed Motor Cycle Racing. One of which is the fastest ever recorded speed on an Indian motorcycle which still stands today. In 2005 Burt had his own movie based on the journey of accomplishments his life took "The World's Fastest Indian."

Following the success of the movie 'The World's Fastest Indian', the South Land Motor Cycle Club has created a Burt Munro Challenge, to honour Burt's determination, love of speed and motor cycles. The 'Burt Munro Challenge' is also known as the New Zealand Premiere Motor Sport Event. The Burt Munro Challenge started in 2006 and is now held every year. In this 'Burt Munro Challenge' its purpose is to draw New Zealand Motorcyclists to compete in many events. The Munro Family Trophy is a trophy that is won every year at the 'Burt Munro Challenge'. The Munro family awards this trophy for the competitor of the year. Burt also has had his own appreciation society made about him and all his accomplishments. As of Burt Munro he has left spirit and remembrance to every New Zealander which is why you can be proud.