Babe Ruth

by Luke from Leawood

George Herman Ruth, Jr. best known as Babe Ruth, was born February 6, 1895 in Baltimore, Maryland. His parents, George Sr. and Kate, ran a business and had little time to take care of Babe. Babe was known as the "Wild Child" and his parents sent him to St. Mary's Industrial school taught by Monks. Babe found the silver lining and started playing baseball at St. Mary's. After a couple years, Babe was signed by the Red Sox when he was only 19. His first major league game was July 11, 1914. After hitting 54 home runs in his first season, Babe Ruth was an instant star.

People only know one side of Babe Ruth, as perhaps one of the greatest baseball players to play the game. But he has a heroic side. After his first season, Babe gave shoes to kids whose dads were fighting in the war. He also talked to kids about how baseball is like life; "some days you are great, and other days you aren't so great." This was a very valuable lesson to the kids. Later in his life, Babe got sick but that didn't stop him from playing baseball or helping people. One day, he went to a school where he signed baseballs for kids who had disabilities. These acts don't just make him a hero. Babe Ruth's behavior reflected characteristics of a hero like determination, leadership, and courage. He demonstrated determination because after he came out of the hospital, he didn't rest, he conditioned on his farm to prepare himself to go back to baseball. Leadership is another one of heroic characteristics. After he left the Yankees, he wanted to coach, so he went to the Brooklyn Dodgers and took the managing job. He also showed courage because he helped people who were less fortunate than him like kids with dads in the war and kids with disabilities.

Babe Ruth was a good baseball player but he was also considerate of other people. He was determined, had leadership, and was courageous. He thought of other people before himself. He helped kids with disabilities and taught kids lessons about life. All of these put together makes him a hero.