Balto

by Nicolas and Lindsey from Atglen

Our hero is Balto. He was born in 1922 and died March 14, 1933 at 2:15 p.m. His parents and breed are still unknown. Balto’s owner, Norwegian Leonhard Seppala, named him after Samuel Balto. Balto is our hero because he saved many people in Nome, Alaska. He was brave, strong, and very friendly.

In 1925, there was a deadly diphtheria epidemic disease in Nome, Alaska. The only cure to the disease was in Anchorage, Alaska, about 1000 miles away. The aircraft that would normally deliver the antibiotic, was taken apart for the winter. So they decided to deliver it by dog sled.

On February 2, 1925, Gunner Kaasen led his dog sled team, with Balto in the lead. On their journey, they had to face fierce weather conditions, such as 53 degrees below zero. They also got stuck in the Topkok River. Balto saved them from death in that river by pulling the whole dog sled team out all by himself!!! They finally arrived in Nome, saving many people from death.

Balto died because he was partially deaf, blind, and canine arthritis in his rear legs. Doctors soon had to put Balto to sleep. People thought he died because of his life-saving mission, but NOT TRUE.

Nearly 10 months after they arrived in Nome, a statue of Balto was sculpted in Central Park in New York City. It was the only dog statue in all of New York.