Balto

by Josh from Cincinnati

Balto with Gunner Kasson (wikipedia.com (Gunner Kasson))

Imagine that you are carrying a lifesaving serum for the children of a town. Now imagine it is -23 degrees Fahrenheit, a horrible blizzard and you have to go 53 miles. What you just imagined was what Balto felt, but it was real. The way Balto started his life was pretty normal for a sled dog, but by the end of his life he had saved an entire town and was known across the entire country.

Balto was born in 1919. He was part-wolf and part-malamute. Balto was owned by Leonhard Seppala, who raised him. Balto was also trained by Leonhard. Balto's job was to move food and tools to gold miners, so he knew the paths to get to Nome from most of the mining villages. There was a deal made by Leonhard and his good friend Gunner Kasson that Gunner could use Balto at any time.

In January 1925, a sickness called diphtheria was spreading fast. People tried to send the lifesaving serum by train, but the snow was too thick because of the blizzard. The trains couldn't move so they decided to send sled dog teams. Gunner Kasson was in the area so he got Balto and waited for the serum. When the serum arrived, they set off. Gunner couldn't see the trail. The lead dog stopped because he had lost his way. Then Balto, from somewhere in the back, started to move forward and became the lead dog. Balto was doing well but it was dangerous up ahead. One time they all almost fell into a river. If Balto had stepped two feet farther, they all would have drowned and the serum would be lost.

There were no crowds when Balto arrived in Nome, because Balto and the team had shown up way before people had expected. It was the bark of the dogs that woke everyone. It was no small task, but Balto had saved all the children in Nome. Balto's story spread all over the United States of America. Everyone wanted to see him, so he and the dog team went on tour. A statue of Balto was made in Central Park to remember him.

Even though Balto was a dog he had heroic bravery the whole time. Balto was calm under pressure. When the lead dog froze up, Balto was composed and found the trail. Balto was strong and brave by pushing through the harsh temperatures during the trip to Nome. Balto was intelligent when he stopped the team from moving into the river.

Balto started his life as a simple sled dog pulling mining supplies. At the end of his life, he died in a zoo. However, when Balto and his team were needed, they showed heroic bravery and saved the lives of many children in the town of Nome. Balto is a hero because of his courage and brave deeds.

Kasson, Gunner. "“The True Balto.”." [Online] Available http://www.animationsource.org/balto/en .