Balto

by Amanda from Riverview

Do you know who save Alaska? That's Balto, he was born in 1919 Nome, territory of Alaska and he died in March 14, 1933 (age 14) Cleveland, Ohio, USA. He was known as the hero of Alaska. In 1925 doctors discovered a disease named Diphtheria that could kill young people easily was an epidemic in Alaska. The doctors choose sled dogs so they can transport the medicine from Seattle, Washington to Nome, Alaska. There was harsh weather conditions and the only chance they had was to use sled dogs. Balto travel a 674 mile trip, Balto returned them back to Nome in under 20 hours with a big smile. The medicine finally reached Alaska also Balto and Gunnar Kassen.

When the medicine got to Alaska not ten months after Balto and Kaasen returned home with the medicine a statue was build in New York's Central Park honoring Balto for saving the young people in Alaska. In front of the statue there is a plaque that said "Dedicated to the indomitable spirit of the sled dogs that relayed antitoxin six hundred miles over rough ice, across treacherous waters, through Arctic blizzards from Nenana to the relief of stricken Nome in the Winter of 1925, Endurance, Fidelity, Intelligence". Balto is my hero not only because he saved Alaska. It is because of his fidelity and his endurance. Even when his whole life he was famous and he was always with a smile even when the people treat him like a toy not a hero. Nobody expected that Balto could be a sled dog because he was smaller dog and he was expected to fail. Balto's team were put on a show and traveled around the United States showing the whole world the heroes of Alaska.

When Balto get older he went to the Cleveland Zoo, he remain there until he died. That was on March 14, 1933 Balto's owner visit him somethimes but he never forget about him. Once he passed away his body was mounted by a taxidermist and remains at the Cleveland Natural Museum of History. Nobody have respect for Balto the only ones that have respect are the humans. The only thing that people think is only what would raise the money not what would make Balto happy. Balto give me confidence when i feel sad or if i can't do things because i'm too small or too young.

Balto is my hero because he save Alaska and because it makes me feel i can do things even if i am too young or too small. The disease was discovered on January 1925 and it was deadly. Balto transported the cure for the disease from Seattle, Washington to Nome, Alaska. The disease affected young people and 10 months after there was a ceremony for the sled dogs that save Alaska but Balto was not invited they just invite Balto's team. The dogs receive rewards for saving Alaska. People make movies about Balto they make a movie and a comic book.

The disease was called Antitoxin and the cure was created in 1895. The symptoms is sore throat and fever. The disease includes skin and eyes. It contacts through air or contaminated objects, some people carry the bacteria without having symptoms. It affects the respiratory system and the blood level, Balto suffer and he was manipulated.