Thierno Barrie

by Kevin D. from Sycamore Jr. High

Heroes can come in many forms and do very different things to become heroes. Some inspire many people . Some overcome a serious disability. Others save lives. That is what kind of hero Thierno Barrie was.

(ask.com)
(ask.com)

Thierno Barrie was from Sierra Leone, Africa. He moved to Cincinnati, Ohio in 1999 with his father to avoid the civil war in his homeland. He was fifteen years old when he died.

(ask.com)
(ask.com)

On Friday, July 16, 2004, Thierno was swimming with three friends in the Glen Meadow Apartment complex. His friend, 16-year-old Abdul Aziz was in the deep end of the pool when he started drowning. Thierno then jumped in the pool and helped him out. After helping him, Thierno slipped in the water, and stayed there. A few moments later Thierno was helped out of the water by an adult and given CPR. An ambulance took him to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, where he died. His parents arrived shortly after.

Thierno Barrie was a hero on the spot. He was a hero on the spot because when he saw his friend drowning, he only had a moment to save him. He showed moral descision, because he did the right thing even though he put himself in danger. He also had courage, because when he went in the pool, he was at risk of drowning, too.

Thierno Barrie was a great person because he willingly risked his life for his friend. His sacrafice let another person live to see another day. Even though he died in the process, his good deed has inspired me to do the right thing too.

Depts.washington.edu/learncpr/ - How to perform CPR in an emergency