Zsuzsanna Anna Lacsny DeKorompay (Bega)

by Anna from Delta

This is Bega (I took it with my camera)
This is Bega (I took it with my camera)

I believe a hero is someone great. A hero is someone who is wise and thoughtful. Some heroes have been through war and still play tennis… That is the kind of hero I am talking about today.

Bega (I took it with my Camera)
Bega (I took it with my Camera)

My hero is my great-grandma, Zsuzsanna Anna Lacsny DeKorompay. We also call her Bega a lot because when my Uncle Peter was little he couldn’t say Grandma so he called her Bega and that spread through to my little cousins, my brother and I. She was born in Budapest, Hungary on June 26, 1920. Bega has fine blonde hair and many wrinkles. She has many rings on her fingers from her husband. Her family was quite rich. They owned much land. Her husband, whom we call Api, was a mining engineer. Bega did not have a job because of her wealth. They had 3 children, Katilin, Erika and Victor.

A war started in Hungary on October 23rd, 1956. Many people were killed. Luckily the DeKorompay family was unharmed except for losing most of their possessions. Slowly the war calmed, but soon started up again. That was when they fled. Since they were rich when they left Hungary, a lot of the land they owned was taken away by the Soviet Union. Now, they are getting it back.

<a href=http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41533000/jpg/_41533604_hungarybody.jpg>The Hungarian Parliament Building</a>
The Hungarian Parliament Building

Bega is very good at tennis, even at old age. She travels a lot to Europe and loves to visit her relatives. Her favourite gem is an emerald and her favourite colour is turquoise. She used to sail, ice skate, and do gymnastics!!! That last part about gymnastics surprised me when she told me. Her favourite flower is the azalea and she plays the piano beautifully. Architecture is one of her interests as well. She especially loves the Hungarian Parliament Building. Her favourite foods are pastries and she absolutely hates Brussels sprouts, fish and broccoli. She has about 4 great-grandchildren. They are (from oldest to youngest) my brother Victor, Me, my little cousin Brenna and her sister Chloe.

Bega has made an influence on my life by living a long time and she still travels to many places in Europe. Most people at Bega’s age would probably not be able to do the great things that Bega can. The fact that she can still play sports is because she tries to stay healthy. She is my role model for life. I hope that someday I can be like her and live as long as her.