Bethany Hamilton

by Griffin from Huntington

Bethany still going for her dream (bethanyhamilton.com)

Bethany Hamilton, a beautiful girl, has a pretty smile, is a professional surfer and all the guys want to date her, but just one thing's different and I’m about to tell you how dedicated this girl is. Bethany is a strong-willed person. She will do anything that she wants and however she wants to, she is the bravest person I know. On the morning of October 31, 2003, while Bethany was just about to stand up on her surf board, she got attacked by a shark. The shark was a fourteen foot tiger shark. Her left arm was bitten off. Ten weeks after all of this happened she went back to surfing! If I were her, I would never have gone surfing again. Bethany inspires me because- just because something gets in the way of her dream doesn’t mean that she is going to stop trying to reach her goals, ambitions, and what she loves best: surfing!

her board
her board

She has been surfing since she was just thirteen years old. A year later she was ranked 8th in the world (I think she was #1)! Her amazing taste for life, determination and positive attitude are infectious in and out of the water. Still a mid-teenager, Bethany Hamilton has managed to achieve the unthinkable...Despite a tragic shark attack in 2003, the fun-loving Hawaiian youngster has gone on to surf again, win professional surfing competitions, write a great book 'Soul Surfer', and become an international inspiration to millions around the globe. Not bad for a lady who simply says- "I just love surfing."

Bethany is a soul surfer as she says in her book “Soul Surfer”. This means she doesn’t just surf for the money that she gets for winning all these tournaments, she surfs because she loves it. This girl has her own perfume, book, magazines, movie, even monopoly! Bethany never let her accident hold her back. One month later, she was back in the water trying to surf again. Her balance was different, and some things were more challenging, but Bethany tried her best to relearn surfing. In January of 2004, only a few months after Bethany was attacked, she entered another surfing competition. The judges offered to give her special benefits, such as more time, but Bethany refused. She wanted to be treated just like everyone else. Bethany placed fifth in the Open Women’s division. Even though she lost her arm, she was still able to continue following her dream.

Bethany is a great person. She helps with many charities. She always says that she wants people to be able to follow their dreams no matter what happens. One of the hardest things for her is that she used to play guitar, basketball, skateboard, and play football but now she can’t.

Bethany posing for her magazine
Bethany posing for her magazine

Bethany is a great person and she should be your hero just like she is mine. She is strong, tough, loving, and caring. I want to be just like her when I grow up. Bethany has taught me that no matter what happens, keep striving to reach your goal.