Binti Jua

by Kylie from Atglen

Binti Jua is an eight year old western lowland gorilla. On August 16th, 1996, she rescued a three year old child who fell eighteen feet into her gorilla exhibit in the Brookfield Zoo in Chicago. While she was rescuing the boy, her seventeen month old was clinging to her back.

Binti Jua was born in 1988. Her mother Lulu was born in Bronx Zoo but is now living in the Columbus Zoo. Her father Sunshine is living in San Francisco Zoo. Binti Jua's aunt is Koko, the gorilla famous for knowing American Sign Language. Binti Jua has a seventeen month old child named Koola.

Binti Jua had to overcome from being transferred to another zoo and learning how to become a mother. People say that Binti Jua is a really friendly, gentle gorilla. Binti Jua has the hero qualities of motherhood and the ability to save lives.