Brandon Burlsworth

by ryan from orem

Photo from Sports Illistrated (www.brandonburlsworth.org)

A hero is an individual of moral, mental and/or physical strength that inspires others to be like them in some or all qualities. With this definition in mind I would like to tell you about my hero, Brandon Burlsworth. Brandon Burlsworth is one of the most inspiring Collegiate Athlete ever to play football. He has changed me along with many others that knew him and some that never met him.

(www.brandonburlsworth.org)
(www.brandonburlsworth.org)

Brandon started out in the small town of Harrison, Arkansas. He was a regular small town kid that went to school and church every week. He was greatly influenced by his family including his mother and brother Marty who was 16 years older than Brandon. He played football at the local high school and became a pretty good lineman. He wanted to play in college but no big D-1 schools offered him. He then with a great risk he walked on to his favorite, Arkansas.

(www.cnnsi.com/.../images/ burlsworth_brandon.jpg)

Brandon made the team his Freashman year, but red-shirted and did not get to play. The next year he was the back-up offencive gaurd but did not play much. The next year how ever he was the starting right gaurd. Then he realy began to develop. He made the all-confrence team and became one of the stars on the team. Then his senior year he became an All-American. He acheved all this while being on the confrence acedemic honor roll. And every weekend he would drive home to go church with his family. After graduating with a degree from Arkansas, he was drafted in the third round of the NFL draft by the Colts. He had fulfilled the dreams of so many athletes and himself.

(www.brandonburlsworth.org)
(www.brandonburlsworth.org)

Brandon was along with being a great athlete, was a great person. Brandon was an amazing example for anyone. He was a hard worker, commited to those around him. Brandon would always take time for others. Including helping little children, talking to fans and reporters. Brandon never forgot where he came from, he would come home when he could to talk to his old high school to talk to the football team and his old head coach.

(www.brandonburlsworth.org)
(www.brandonburlsworth.org)

One night Brandon started a drive home to visit his family and to talk to his old high school student body. He never made it home. Just outside his home town, Brandon Burlsworth died in a car accident on April 28, 1999. Brandon Burlsworth was only one of two Arkansas football players to have their jersey number retired. Brandon was a great indiviual that helped so many people in his life and influenced many more, including me. I hope who ever reads this will remember Brandon Burlsworth and I encourge you to learn more about him and his life. Brandin Burlsworth is... "My Hero".

Brandon Burlsworth Foundation - A foundation oganized by friends and family