Calvin Coolidge

by Coolidge from Lincoln

Calvin Coolidge, by Coolidge P. (I made this picture in art class.)

Do you know your 42 presidents? If you do, do you know the 30th? I’m doing my report on Calvin Coolidge. He was born July 4 1872. He died January 5 1933. Calvin Coolidge spent his childhood in Plymouth, Vermont. He went to Amherst college. His dad was a shopkeeper. Calvin Coolidge had a great childhood. He married a girl named Grace. His wife was affectionate and gave him hugs. Grace's husband was very cranky sometimes.

His first son is John. He was born 1906. John was born a year after Calvin married Grace. Calvin Coolidge had another son. They named him Calvin Jr.

In 1915 he ran successfully for lieutenant governor. Calvin Coolidge used his three years as lieutenant governor to acquire more knowledge of government and in 1918 he was elected governor. Calvin Coolidge’s father knew about teaching, store keeping, farming, politics, and mechanics. Calvin Coolidge’s mother died when he was 12 years old. Calvin Coolidge’s mom's name was Victoria Moore Coolidge.

Calvin Coolidge cut taxes. Calvin Coolidge believed in public service. Calvin Coolidge was a lawyer. He was a financially independent city councilman.

When Calvin Coolidge cut taxes people would vote for him to be mayor. Calvin Coolidge was elected mayor. He was elected to the Massachusetts House of Representatives.

Calvin Coolidge was vice president until president Harding died. When President Harding died in 1923 at 2:47 A.M., a messenger had to be sent to Plymouth VT to tell Calvin Coolidge. In early adulthood Calvin Coolidge dropped his first name John. That is why he would be Calvin Coolidge the 30th president. Calvin Coolidge had to take President Harding’s place. Calvin Coolidge the vice president had to go to the White House and take over.

Calvin Coolidge had a lot to say. He made a speech. He had supported American involvement in World War I, but Calvin Coolidge said peace was hard work and needed to be done after it was over. Calvin Coolidge cut taxes 65% to 20%. Calvin Coolidge’s nickname was Silent Cal.

Calvin Coolidge impressed me. Calvin believed in helping out. He was a lawyer, and financially independent city councilman. Calvin Coolidge was elected mayor.

Calvin Coolidge - The White House
Coolidge's Inaugural Address
Calvin Coolidge - from Answers.com
Grace Anna Goodhue Coolidge - First Lady Grace Coolidge from The White House