Cristian Marian Becheanu

by Bogdan S. from Botosani

My 14 year old hero

By Bogdan S.

Cristian Marian Becheanu, seventh grade student at the School of Segarcea - Dolj, Romania, the boy who saved the little Gabriel, aged three years. The boy fell around 11:30 in a deep well over 15 meters, located in family Ruiu's  courtyard.

Little Gabriel was transferred from ICU to a ward at the neurosurgery department. He was kept under the supervision of doctors to check for cervical spine damage due to slipping and falling into the pit. The baby's head was immobilized with a cervical collar. He was frozen, deprived of oxygen and slightly under emotional shock. The pit was covered and there, parents want to plant some trees.

Marian offered to come to the rescue when he saw the firemen could not find another person to be lowered into the well, due to the narrow shaft about 30 inches in diameter. Crews from the Segarcea firehouse acted quickly with shovels, and a tractor, trying to dig their way in but couldn't. Cristian declares he was a little nervous but not afraid because he had been told what to do. He saw the baby in the water, grabbed him and got pulled out.

He says the firemen didn't want to lower him at first, because they were afraid he would get stuck there as well, but as they were running out of options, they had no other choice.

Child rescuer was lowered using ropes.

However, it wasn't the first time he had saved people. Three year before, in 2010, he had saved three people who had gotten stuck in a damaged car. They had been involved in a car accident and he saw them whole he was riding his bike. He found a pipe and propped the door open. Then he called for an ambulance.

He has also helped another classmate who had had a bike accident and who later had to undergo a knee surgery. Cristian got him up and helped him get to his parents' house.

His dream is to be a fireman and keep saving people.