Cesar Chavez

by Hector from San Diego

(en.wikipedia.org ())
(en.wikipedia.org ())

"No farm worker has impacted the fields and corporate boardrooms of California agriculture like Cesar Chavez." This quote is from reporter Roger Cardinal Mahony demonstrating the forever changing actions committed by Cesar Estrada Chavez. Cesar was born on March 31, 1927 in Arizona into a ranching family. There he lived in a life of poverty at his family's ranch until it was foreclosed on during the Great Depression. As a result, he and his family, among hordes of other migrant farm workers, had to move to California. They reestablished in tents at labor camps while still working as farmers. Growing up, Cesar attended a total of 65 different schools until he left school with a 7th grade education so he could return to farm working. At the age of 12, Cesar first saw the power and ability of unions organized by farm workers. His uncle was involved in this group (Cesar Chavez Biography). Even though strikes put on by these unions failed, Cesar was inspired and affected by the movement. So, at the age of 19, he began his first involvement in organizing. As time went on, Cesar Chavez rose up from the ranks to a position of leadership and formed his own union because of his compassion for his fellow farm workers in California. Once united, they would start a campaign to fight for their rights and the fair treatment they deserve. Cesar Chavez is a hero because of his leadership and compassion for others.

In order for the campaign to start, Cesar would have to inspire farm workers throughout California to join the union. He was able to gather people and unite them because of his compassionate understanding of their way of living in poverty and injustice, for he himself lived that as well. This sentence quoted that, "He knew the history of farm worker organizing was one sad story after another of broken unions and strikes crushed by violence" (Cesar Chavez Biography). This shows that Cesar understood the fear and poverty put on the farm workers by the failed Unions of the past, as well as the previous strikes crushed down by the farm owners. Cesar then started his campaign by building a union even though quoted, "he didn't know if he would succeed. But he did it anyway. He knew he couldn't live with himself if he didn't at least try" (Cesar Chavez Biography). His compassion is shown that he wanted to try to rise up and challenge the government; he wanted to try to win his and his people's rights; he wanted to at least try, unknowing if he will succeed or not; but that didn't stop him! This proves that Cesar Chavez is compassionate for his people. He gave them a chance to make things right by trying to give the farm growers the rights they deserve. For years he would lead the farm workers through nonviolent strikes, marches, and fasts. His motivating speeches and personal risks, (all for his people's rights and fairness), show his compassion.

(www.biography.com ())
(www.biography.com ())

Due to Cesar's will to fight for his and his people's rights, he emerged a strong and compassionate leader. He had to face a complicated and challenging journey to reach his goal. During Cesar's campaign for rights, he was quoted as saying, "Our opponents in the industry are powerful and farm workers are weak in money and influence. But we have another kind of power. So long as we are willing to sacrifice, so long as we persist in non-violence and spread the message of our struggle, then millions of people will respond from their heart, will support our efforts.and in the end we will overcome"(Brainy Quote). This shows that Cesar believes that people united and willing to sacrifice for one another, can overcome any obstacle and be able to achieve their goals. As a result of his leadership, he had the ability to inspire and gather people throughout the United States. They joined him to help "La Causa" to fight for the farm worker's rights. Along the way of Cesar's campaign, he faced obstacles and threats that stood in his way. Like so many other leaders, he took serious action to keep his goal alive and going. In order for Cesar to have the attention of the media, he decided to take drastic measures and stopped eating for the benefit of the cause. "Both to dramatize the boycott and to emphasize nonviolence, Chavez began the first of his well-publicized, life-threatening fasts, which lasted 25 days. In the years that followed, Chavez continued to undertake fasts as a response to violence occurring in the path of the Union's struggle" (Cesar Chavez Biography). This shows that he was willing to risk his own life for the better of his people and the Union. This risky attempt along with his inspirational gatherings, proves that Cesar Chavez is indeed a man of leadership. This campaign would have been more difficult if Cesar did not understand the plight of the poorly treated farm workers, Because of Cesar Chavez's leadership, they were able to organize.

Cesar Chavez, with a complicated early life as a farm worker, became one of the most heroic men of his time. Throughout his life, Cesar has helped in many historical decisions for the rights of farm workers. Cesar was able to gather and bring people together under one banner. They were able to strike non-violently to fight for their right to organize and achieved a better life they desperately needed. To me, Cesar Chavez is a man I owe my thanks to. Cesar is a man I look up to because he fought for rights that would have been given to thousands of people. Who knows, if it wasn't for him I probably wouldn't be standing with all of you here today. He fought for us so we have a chance to avoid poverty and unfairness; so we can live a life that he wasn't able to live. Cesar had a chance to lead an easy life, but he refused, because he would rather stay with his people than leave them behind for his own personal gain.  Cesar Chavez accomplished what most people thought was impossible. He did it because he wanted to show that all people have a voice and that they all have the right to say what they need to tell. He wanted to achieve what others failed to do in the past; to help the people with no voice.. Cesar Chavez changed the world's view of the migrant worker. After all he has done and sacrificed, the world now realizes that he defines the meaning of a hero.

"CESAR CHAVEZ FOUNDATION." CESAR CHAVEZ FOUNDATION. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Feb. 2015.

"Cesar Chavez." Dictionary of Hispanic Biography. Gale, 1996. Biography in Context. Web. 28 Jan. 2015.

"Chavez, Cesar Estrada." FactCite: Lincoln Library Biographies Online. Lincoln Lib. P, 2012. Web. 3 Feb. 2015