Cesar Chavez

by Lorena from Newark

Cesar Chavez speaking (Me)
Cesar Chavez speaking (Me)

Cesar Chavez is my hero and its not because he is Mexican and I am Mexican. It is just I like how much he cared about people, especially immigrants that work on farms every single day in California, Arizona, New Mexico any place where there are farms in the United States. In his early life Chavez was born near Yuma, Arizona on March 31,1927. He spent most of his childhood on farms picking crops with his parents as migrant workers. As he got older he recognized that farmers were not getting paid as well as it has to be and so he dedicated most of his life on pay and working condition for workers.  

Mostly he was a community labor organizer like around the 1950's then he found the National Farm Workers Association 1962. Later in 1965 he made his first strike against grape growers here in California. Plus both unions were renamed in 1972. They were called the United Farmer Workers. The years passed and so Chavez and his union had many victories. Many people signed contracts with the union. Also he faced more challenges over time over the workers on the Teamsters Union. Then he led marches calling for boycotts and also all of his work made Chavez have some new friends like Robert Kennedy and Jesse Jackson.       

Cesar Chavez speaking
Cesar Chavez speaking

Before all of this happened, Chavez also joined the U.S. Navy in 1945. He served the western Pacific during the end of World War II. In 1948 he married his wife Helen Fabela. He met her while he was in the Delano Vineyards. Later on difficult times happen to them his wife was working in the fields everyday with her husband to help the family. He often babysat his children. After in 1982 with more than 1 million in grower campaign donations the Republican George Deukmejian was elected Governor of California.  

Smiling
Smiling

Cesar lived with his family by the 1970 in the city of La Paz, in Keene California by the Tehachapi mountains, east of Bakersfield. Since then he received pay that didn't top $5,000 a year. Then he received the Aguila Aztec, Mexico's highest award presented to people of Mexican heritage who have made major contributions outside of Mexico. By August 8, 1994, Chavez became the second Mexican American to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Before the he received awards Cesar Chavez died on April 23, 1993 at the age of 66. 

Working
Working

I chose Cesar Chavez as my hero because he inspires on what he has done for people and immigrants that work on farms. Also since his childhood he was raised on farms and born on a farm. He worked in fields for most of his childhood life but what inspires me most is that how he was poor and he got up and now thanks to his effort now all the farmers and the workers are paid equally and treated well.