Charlayne Hunter-Gault

by Zahria from Honolulu

Charlayne Hunter-Gault (www.biography.com))

Alberta Charlayne Hunter was born on February 27, 1942 in Due West, South Carolina to Charles S.H. Hunter Col. and Althea Brown. Charlayne had two younger brothers named Henry and Franklyn. Charlayne loved to write for newspapers and read them. An influence for her was her grandmother who was reading the newspaper all the time and got Charlayne interested in it. Although Charlayne had to travel from base to base quite often because her father was in the army, she spent most of her life in Atlanta and Covington. Since she was almost always with her father for only a brief amount of time, Charlayne was taken up by her maternal grandparents and her mother. Charlayne's parents seperated and Charlayne went to live with her father in Alaska. When Charlayne returned she went back to her mom and grandparents. Charlayne went to high school at Henry McNeal Turner High and went to college at the University of Georgia.

UGA (warchildren.org))
UGA (warchildren.org))

In 1963, Charlayne married Walter Stovall and had a daughter named Susan. Charlayne and Walter divorced, leaving Susan with Charlayne. In the year of 1971, Charlayne married an African-American investment banker, Ron Gault. They had a son named Chuma. Charlayne went to live with Ron Gault when he got transferred to South Africa and stayed there until 2005. Charlayne's job was journalizing for the New York Times until 1978, when she joined PBS's MacNeil/Lehrer Report becoming a national correspondent. Charlayne also filled in as anchor when the program became The MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour and later The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer. Charlayne has always loved to write and read. A fun fact about Charlayne is that she donated her papers to the Richard B. Russel Library for Political Research and Studies for part of UGA's fiftieth anniversary. 

University of Georgia (newyorker.tumblr.com))

One of Charlayne's major accomplishments was being one of the first two black students to desegregate the University of Georgia while she was taunted with epithets. She had to deal with being treated very, very badly by whites in the 1960s. Charlayne also received two Peabody Awards along with two Documentary Emmy Awards in a time that was still segregated.

Charlayne Hunter-Gault impacted the world by standing up to whites. She made the world a better place by helping African-Americans have their freedom. The world remembers Charlayne by her amazing courage to make peace between the different races. 

I chose Charlayne Hunter-Gault because she was an amazing journalist and civil rights activist. I admire Charlayne Hunter-Gault because she fought for our freedom and she was a wonderful author. Now you know all about Charlayne Hunter-Gault. 

Charlayne Hunter-Gault - http://www.usca.edu/aasc/hunter.htm
Charlayne Hunter Gault - BlackPast.org
Charlayne Hunter Gault - Encyclopedia.com
Richard B. Russell Library