Coretta Scott King

by Addeline from Eden Prarie

"Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated."

Coretta Scott King married to Martin Luther King Jr., a minister following in his father's shoes. Coretta and Martin worked hard for freedom and equal rights for all. Martin and Coretta were famous civil rights leaders and (NAACP) members. Martin would go to churches and tell them how to fight for freedom without using violence.

Martin and Coretta (Google)
Martin and Coretta (Google)

Coretta Scott King was married to Martin Luther King Jr. Both Coretta and Martin were civil rights leaders. Coretta was also a women's rights leader. They both believed in equal rights for all. While Martin and Coretta told people how to fight without violence they would find ways to show people they don’t need special things. They can walk instead of ride buses, they would boycott.

Coretta was born on April 27, 1927 in Marion, Alabama. 1945 Coretta enrolled in Yellow Springs College, Ohio. Later in 1945 she moved to Boston on a free scholarship to New England Conservatory of Music. On June 18th 1953 Coretta and Martin got married and soon moved to Birmingham, Alabama.

In 1955 Martin and Coretta’s first daughter Yolanda was born. In 1957 Martin Luther King III, their first son was born. 1961 Dexter, their second son was born. Finally in 1963 Bernice, their second daughter was born. In 1968 Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated. In 2006, Coretta Scott King died.

Coretta and Martin believed in equal rights for all. They believed that one day there would be equal rights for all. Martin and Coretta decided they didn’t want to wait for someone else to speak up to say what people were doing was wrong. Martin and Coretta decided to try and change things with not by themselves but other people who believed that the treatment was wrong and cruel. That’s how the bus boycotting started. Today Martin and Coretta and many other's dream is still coming true today.

The King Center - The King Library and Archives in Atlanta is the largest repository of primary source materials on Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the American Civil Rights Movement in the world. The collection consists of the papers of Dr. King and those of the organization he co-founded, the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, as well as the records of 8 major civil rights organizations and of several individuals active in the Movement. The archives also include more than 200 oral history interviews with Dr. King’s teachers, friends, family and civil rights associates.