Carlos Slim

by Diego from Northridge

Carlos Slim (www.google.com)
Carlos Slim (www.google.com)

There could be many rich people who only care about themselves and not other people. There is one man who was rich (who has over $74,000,000,000), but didn't care about himself, he cared about other people. He just has a regular house and no limo. He donated millions of dollars to schools in Mexico (which is were he lives today). Many people might not know about him, but you will learn about him when you read all these paragraphs.That person is Carlos Slim Helu [e-loo].

Carlos Slim's Family (www.google.com)
Carlos Slim's Family (www.google.com)

Slim's father was born in 1888 in Lebanon. At the age of 14 in 1902, he immigrated to Mexico where 4 of his brothers already lived. Slim Haddad later changed his name to Julian Slim Hadded. Slim's mother was born in Parral, Chihuahua, Mexico . Her parents also immigrated to Mexico in the late 19th century. Her parents founded the first Arabic language magazines for the Lebanese Mexican community. In 1911, Slim's father established an important dry goods store La Estellita de Oriente. In August 1926 Slim's mother and father got married, and had six children, Nour, Alma, Julian, Jose, Carlos, and Linda.Then Slim's father died 1953, and the family was devastated. Carlos Slim was only 13 years old when his dad died.

Carlos Slim Helu was born in January 28, 1940 in Mexico City. Slim and his brothers and sisters were taught by their father the basic business practice. At the age of 12 Slim bought shares at a Mexican bank that tells me he was interested in business at a very young age. He studied civil engineering at the National Autounomous University of Mexico. He also taught Algebra and Liner Programming. He was a student and professor at the same time. In 1966, Carlos Slim married Soumaya Domit Gemayel. They had four children Carlos, Patrick, Soumaya, and Marco Antonio. In 1999, Carlos Slim's wife Soumaya passed away.

Carlos Slim started his business around 1972 in construction, real estate, and mining. Next he started a business which rented construction equipment. In 1976 he branched out by buying a printing business. In 1980 he formed Group Galas which had industry, construction, mining, retail, food, and tobacco. In 1985, he bought Reynolds Aluminum, General Tires, Bimex Hotels, and Sanborns, a food retailer. In 1990 he made a big purchase, he bought Telemex (a telephone company) from the Mexican government. He also created Grupo Carso a public company (first letters of his and his wife's name) These are only a few of the many, many companies he owns.Carlos Slim relates to me, by being kind. He is important to me because he helped schools and companies raise money and equipment. He made a difference in my life by showing me to be caring to others and many friends. He means a lot to me by showing me to be nice to my friends. He affected my life by changing  the way I am. I learned many things about Carlos Slim, like he donated lots of his money to schools in Mexico. When I grow up to be rich, I want to donate money, just like he did.

I found out that Carlos Slim is not only a great businessman, but a caring person. He has many foundations and donated extremely large sums of money, for example, in 2007 foundation Carlos Slim Helu A.C. created three Carso institutes: health, sports, and education. This foundation has already donated $110 million dollars to ALAS (it supports programs for children). He also has a sports Telmex institute, he donated more than $250 million dollars to create necessary conditions to promote and practice sports in Mexico for the Olympic games. He made a donation for 100 thousand computers to more than 1,400 public schools in Mexico. He has a group of doctors that perform free surgeries for poor people. Again, there are too many foundations to name them all. Carlos Slim is more than you think. He donates much of his money to people who need it. That shows that he is really caring for people, and he is a hero to me because he has changed a lot of people's lives in the world. I hope to be like Carlos Slim when I grow up. He has inspired me to be the best that I can be.