Champ Bailey

by Isayah from San diego

( ())
( ())

A young kid who enjoyed athletics never thought he would be known worldwide one day. Who would have known that this young man, Champ Bailey, would have grown up to be one of the NFL's best Cornerbacks today. Champ Bailey was born in Folkston, Georgia on June 22, 1978 to Elaine and Roland Bailey Sr. (Snow 10). "He has an older brother Ronald, and an older sister Danielle" (Snow 10).Champ and his family lived in Folkston, Georgia, a small town that consists of about 2,200 people, that is located about 45 miles from Jacksonville, Florida" (Snow 13). He attended Charlton County High School, where he starred as a member of the football, basketball, and track teams" (Snow 13). Unbelievably, Champ Bailey had to raise a child at a young age, and in order to do that, he had to get a couple of jobs so he could support that child and not leave the mother alone. Even though he was able to have a successful football career and raise a child at a young age, he still manages to contribute to his community. Therefore, due to the fact that he never gave up on his dream, he is hard working, and is charitable to his community, he meets all the qualifications to be a hero.

Champ Bailey is a hero because he has been involved a few charities.

In his biography, he talks about how his grandmother influenced him to be more charitable.  He says, "It's something that I grew up with. My grandmother was like that, she would take people in, take care of them, people she didn't even know. I saw that and thought that was special, and as I got older, it rubbed off on me," Bailey said. When I came to The Crossing for the first time, I fell in love with the place, and I've been coming back ever since." (Biography)

Champ and his grandma have very similar personalities because they both care about others.

They don't care about just themselves they both want to help people. The Denver Post states how he and his teammates helped others. "Bailey and four teammates fed more than 80 families at The Crossing in Park Hill and spent two hours signing autographs, taking pictures, and decorating gingerbread men with the residents of the transitional housing program." (Jones).  This shows that he cares about people and not just about himself. He wants to give out and help others. Clearly, Champ is a hero because he gives his time, money, and energy into helping charities.

Champ Bailey is considered hard working because when he had a child at a young age he didn't ignore his responsibilities and took care of the baby. Champ took the job of becoming a father really seriously and supported his child. "Champ did not want to ignore his responsibilities, so Champ worked at a number of jobs while he was in high school so he could support his child. His jobs included mowing grass and pulling weeds for the town of Folkston, working at Dairy Queen, and working at a paper company" (Snow). In an interview with Frank Schwab of the Colorado Springs Gazette, Champ described how being a very young father affected him:  "I tried to take care of that, as much as I could, on my own, and leave (my parents) out of it..Just trying to grow up a lot faster than I should have. It was nerve-wracking. It was tough. It wasn't good for me to have a child that early, but at the same time, it made me grow up" (Snow). Champ bailey took on the challenge of raising a child at a young age. At the age of 14 he got 4 jobs and did everything he could to support that child. Champ also is hard working because he took initiative and did his work before the game so when it was game day he knew exactly what he was doing. "Champ is smart and works before games. He studies the receivers and quarterbacks on the opposing teams to learn their pass routes and strategies. Before each play, Champ positions his head, hips and feet to give himself the best chance to reach the ball before the receiver"  (Snow). Champ not only did what he was supposed to do as a cornerback, but he did extra to make him a better cornerback he studied film everyday of every week. Champ also had very good technique but he got that by watching other corners like Darrel Green and Deion Sanders. Champ studied really hard and listened to the other corners and watched them and learned from them so that he could get better not only as a cornerback but a person as well. Champ is a hero because of his hard work and dedication to his son and team.

( ())
( ())

( ())
( ())

Hard Working, Never giving up, and Charitable:  Champ is all of these, that is what makes him a hero. Even as a 14 year old father and with all the other challenges in his life, Champ Bailey was able to be an amazing football star. Champ said, "My mind-set is taking it one day at a time. That's all I can do." ( Coulter). This inspires me and I choose to live my life this way as well.

Champ Bailey Official Website." Champ Bailey Official Website. 2009. Web. 09 May 2012.

"JockBio: Champ Bailey Biography." JockBio: Champ Bailey Biography. Web. 10 May 2012.

Jones, Lindsay H. "Broncos' Bailey Done with Change." - The Denver Post. 8 Dec. 2010. Web.

08 May 2012. 

Snow, D. C. Champ Bailey. Philadelphia: Mason Crest, 2009. Print.