Cynthia Cooper

by Toni from Milpitas

Four-time WNBA Finals Most Valuable Player (www.wnba.com/features/cynthia_cooper.html)

My hero project is on Cynthia Cooper. She was born on April 14,1963. Cynthia Cooper plays basketball. She was born in Chicago, Illinois but grew up in Los Angeles. She has won championships in college, the Olympics, and in the WNBA. She has played for the Houston Comets in 1997-2000 and once in 2003. Cooper was a member of the 1988 Gold-medal winning US Olympic Women's Basketball Team and the Bronze Medal team in 1992. When she retired in 2000 she coached the Phoenix Mercury for one and a half seasons. Cooper returned in 2003 then finally retired in 2004.

Cynthia holding her trophy  (http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/columns/story?columnist=voepel_mechelle&id=4351786)
Cynthia holding her trophy (http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/columns/story?columnist=voepel_mechelle&id=4351786)

I picked Cynthia Cooper because she is one of the greatest women basketball players. Cooper played for USA basketball in 1987 when she won a gold medal in Indianapolis, Indiana with the USA Women's Pan American Team. She was voted the WNBA’s MVP in 1997 and 1998. Cynthia also won four WNBA championships. Also in May of 2005 she was named head coach of the women's basketball team at Prairie View A&M University.

The connection I have with Cynthia Cooper is that I love to play basketball. I hope to play in eighth grade and high school. If I were good enough I could play in the pros. The impact she has made in my life is that she inspired me to even play or like basketball. She is very talented and I hope to be that successful when I grow up.

Wikipedia - For more about Toni's Hero