Canito

by Enrique Purata from Mexico

"Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"
Canito (January 2007)
Canito (January 2007)

First of all, you have to ask yourself a question. What is a hero? Heroes are often people that achieve great things that benefit the society, like defending what they believe in. They also do amazing actions which win them the support of the people. People want to be like them. They always overcome the obstacles they find in their way. Nowadays, if you talk about heroes, you link them to superpowers and special abilities immediately. But people are not the only heroes in our society; animals can be heroes too.

My hero is special because I always spend time with him. He is my dog, and his name is Canito. I don't know why he was named that; my brother chose the name without thinking. Here is my story. Not too long ago, one of my father's friend gave him a little dog that had been born only a week before. My father brought him home. My brothers and I started taking care of him by feeding him. I don't know a lot about dogs, but he's enormous for being 3 months old, now. I think he will grow up into a big and strong dog if we continue taking care of him as we have to date.

Canito always takes care of my family, protecting the house from any stranger that might try to enter. He is aggressive with all people except my family. He had changed my life in many ways. Although taking care of a house is not an act of heroism, and is a common action for a dog, he is nevertheless a hero for me because he protects me.