Cesar Chavez

by Kelly from Spokane

<a href=http://www.fromthevaultradio.org/home/wp-content/images/FTV051_Cesar%20Chavez/CesarChavez%2001%20color%20head%20shot.jpg>Cesar Chavez</a>
Cesar Chavez

As a farm worker Chavez became interested in worker’s rights. He became a very influential labor leader and civil rights activist, eventually co-founding the National Farm Workers Association, which later became the United Farm Workers. Chavez started this apart of his life in 1952 as a union organizer for a Latino civil rights group, the Community Services Organization. Through the NFWA and the UFW Chavez defended worker’s rights and led many strikes to fight for fair wages. Chavez and the UFW also worked to support migrant workers. By opposing documented and undocumented immigration the goal was to keep wages high and improve work safety rules. Their efforts contributed to the ending of the Bracero Program 1964 and the amnesty provisions in the Federal Immigration act of 1986.

<a href=http://www.housing.ucdavis.edu/Current/Parks/March/aa_chavez_subj_e.jpg>Cesar Chavez</a>
Cesar Chavez

From 1973 to 1983 there was a four-year Mexican American college named after Chavez in Mont Angel, Oregon. In 1992 Chavez received the Pacem in Terris Award, which in Latin means ‘Peace on Earth’ for his efforts at securing peace among all nations. Cesar Chavez died on April 23, 1993 in San Luis, Arizona. His birthday is celebrated every year as a California state holiday and many place names commemorate his work. Chavez has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize three times and in 2006 was inducted into the California Hall of Fame.

Cesar Chavez is an important figure in my mind because of his leadership and commitment to equality. Chavez stood up for what he believed in and worked to defend the rights of his peers. I also look up to Chavez for his commitment to non-violence. He stood by his values as he continued to fight for worker’s rights and can be seen as a role model in today’s increasingly violent world.

To improve the world in which we live Chavez fought for the rights of farm workers, protesting against immigration that drove wages down and reduced worker safety rules. He fought corruption in order to protect the labor force in a way that did not promote violence. Chavez led many strikes and protests against unfair rights and wages, and against using toxic pesticides. These strikes and boycotts usually ended with bargain agreements. Working with his organization the UFW Chavez was also able to influence reforms in United States immigration laws. His work greatly affected the rights of farm workers and his legacy lives on today.