Colin Powell

by Benjamin from Fredericksburg

My hero must be someone who conquers great heights and defeats great odds, but is humble about the victory. Through trial and error he continues his or her fight for their beliefs. Born to Jamaican immigrants and raised in south Bronx Colin Powell was brought up by a simple beginning. He went to public schools and eventually enrolled into the City College of New York. He paved the way for all kinds of things, being the first black Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He also became the first black Secretary of State under the Bush administration. Being black, many people, especially many old politicians and military leaders that were use to the old ways, could have immediately denounced him. But once they really met Colin, they saw that he had great potential.

Colin Powell is a successful person as well as an achieved politician. Not many people consider politicians to be worthy of praise, but he deserves some recognition. Born to Jamaican immigrants he later would become one of the most influential people in the United States Government. He received the Defense Distinguished Service Medal, Bronze Star Medal, and the Purple Heart during his military career, of which he rose steadily through the ranks of the army. He later became the Joint Chief of Staff, during the Bush senior administration. He was also the National Security advisor from 1986-1989. Apparently he was quite busy throughout his career.

He is the chairman for America’s Promise an organization who is committed to ensuring that Americans put time and effort into their children. Some of his civilian awards are the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the Congressional Gold Medal, and an honorary knighthood (Knight Commander of the Bath) from the Queen of England. A member of the Board of Trustees of Howard University, he also serves on the Board of Governors of the Boys & Girls Club of America, and on the Advisory Board of the Children's Health Fund. He also is on the board of directors of the United Negro College Fund. It is amazing that one person can do all of these things, and still have a political career.

Colin Powell is a great role model and I hope that many other people try to follow by his lead. Frankly, I know of few people who have the time and the willingness to be on so many boards and a recipient of so many medals, both military and civilian. The time consuming effort needed to achieve all these things is astounding. It is for these reasons that I have chosen him as my Hero. He always puts others before himself, many believe that he is a better person than most politicians and I agree. He is generous, humble, truthful, a true leader. I feel safe with him as our Secretary of State and I feel secure knowing that he will ensure that America is safe.

Lucidcafe - A Brief overview on Colin Powell and his life
General Powell's Corner - An overview of Colin Powell and his messages to America
Meet General Colin Powell - through an interview that goes into some detail.