Coretta Scott King

by Shaylene from Lincoln

Coretta Scott King, By Shaylene (I made this in art class.)

Have you ever heard of Coretta Scott King? If you haven’t, you better listen close. Coretta was born in Heiberger , Alabama on April 27, 1927. Her life was grown up with racism. By the age of five she attended her first year of school. She grew up on a farm with her parents Bernice Curry Scott & Obadiah Scott in Perry County, Alabama. Finally she graduated High School in Yellow Springs Ohio. Then she met Martin Luther King Jr. and married him on June 18,1953 conducted by the groom's father. They had moved in September 1954 To Montgomery, Alabama.

In November 1955, white people came and burned their house down. So they moved back to their home town in Heidelberger, Alabama. When racism got too strong she started writing speeches and memorizing them. Soon they had their first child, Yolanda, who was born on November 17, 1955

Then they had another one who was Martin III who was born on October 23, 1957. Then another one named Dexter was born on January 30, 1961. Then they had even another one, Bernice, who was born on March 28, 1963. Martin had told his wife to take care of the kids while he goes to do business.

Everything was okay until one day that changed their lives forever. On April 4, 2007, Martin was in Memphis, Tennessee giving a speech when he was shot in the throat by James Earl Ray. People are always thinking about Martin Luther King today. For the rest of the few years they were living the life. Coretta died though on January 30, 2006. She was 78 years old. The most impressive thing she did was stand up for what she believed in. Live your life and follow your dreams.

National Womens History Museum web page on Coretta Scott King - The mission of The National Womens History Museum is to tell the stories of women who transformed our nation. We will do that through a growing state-of-the-art online presence and a future physical museum to educate, inspire, empower, shape the future, and provide a complete view of American history.