Dale Dunning

by Alayna from Georgetown

Dale Dunning
Dale Dunning

Dale Dunning, who runs Jusst Sooup Ministry in Rehoboth, Delaware, is my hero. Dale got the idea when she used to make soup for her Bible Study and her classmates invited her to share the soup with other people. She prayed, bought a pot, and a hot plate and started cooking. At first she said that she couldn't even afford a crock pot so she had to clean houses on the weekdays to support her ministry. Now though she serves her soup from six eighteen-quart roasters. Dale has had a hard life when her home was out under foreclosure, putting her kids and herself through college, and they have had some money issues; that however does not stop her from visiting five places, handing out soup.

Dale Dunning has fed people that many of us don't think about on a daily basis. Before learning about her i didn't know that there were homeless people in Delaware. She felt that God called her to serve these people and she obeyed and put her all into doing so. She doesn't just feed people who are hungry. She also will give people a place to sleep, hand out clothes, and bring people places when they need a ride. She has said that, “We have learned to trust in the Lord, and He will send us the help we need" since they have also had it rough. She is a member of Eagles Nest Fellowship Church, where she has been going to for eight years. “I need to be out there with the people and care for them and serve them. I can’t preach a sermon – I need to live that sermon,” she said.

Dale has been recognized by many people including Oprah and People Magazine. She has won the Jefferson Award and the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Award for helping people out. She said that what she does is life-changing and she loves doing it. “One lady cried uncontrollably,” Dunning said. “I learned that she said she has never been loved like this. God is teaching me about humility and love. He is teaching me to be a servant.”

Cape Gazette - Jusst Sooup Ministry
School Nite - Ministry
Oprah - Dale on Oprah