Dwight David Eisenhower

by Helena from Yucaipa

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, It's the size of the fight in the dog."

My name is Helena and my hero is Dwight David Eisenhower. He is my hero because of his will to stand up for our country and never back down, or run away from a challenge. Eisenhower was the one who made it possible for the US to win World War Two, and end the Korean War. He also did a lot of other things that so many other people would never have even thought of doing. He is definitely a person to remember.

Eisenhower on a jeep (http://korea50.army.mil/graphics/eisenhower.jpg)

Dwight David Eisenhower was born in October, 1940 as the third son of David and Ida Stover Eisenhower. His brothers were all called Ike, and when Dwight came along, he was called Little Ike. He was an athletic star in high school but he was only an average student in all the subjects except the one he enjoyed, history. He worked as a mechanic at the local creamery and also worked in a large garden with his brothers to raise a lot of the family's food. He had a very bad temper. Dwight got into many fist fights at school, and would get into big trouble at home.

Dwight eventually went to West Point Military Academy and straightened up his temper. He had done so well in his years at West Point, that he was promoted to Captain in the Army in 1917 when the US entered world War One. Not too long after he graduated, he went to the Panama Canal Zone and learned from General Fox Conner. He continued his military career, and went to Army War College. There, he graduated top in his class.

Not long after he graduated, he went to France to prepare a guidebook of the European battlefields of World War One. The day after Pearl Harbor was bombed (December 7, 1941 7:41 am.) the Army entered the second World War and Eisenhower thought they should defeat Germany before they launched a major attack on Japan. Since President Roosevelt agreed with Eisenhower, they first defeated Germany. Eisenhower did so well in World War Two he was promoted to Major General and head of Operations Divisions.

Eisenhower (nettreker.com)
Eisenhower (nettreker.com)

In December of 1944, Eisenhower was made Five Star General, which is the highest rank anyone in the Army can obtain. Just a few years later, he was sought as a nominee for President. His popularity in World War Two, and his promise to end the Korean War helped him win over his opponents on January 20, 1953. During that first year he also threatened to use nuclear weapons during the Korean War. In 1955, he was reelected for a second term.

In 1957, Eisenhower sent troops to Arkansas to help with the segregation issues. Dealing with the same issues he prohibited segregation in D.C and other federal facilities. Then, he almost had to send US troops to the Middle East to help with communism. He authorized an attack on Cuba, but it was finally time for him to leave the White House.

Years later, his health started to fail. He suffered from three or more heart attacks. One of them caused him to almost die. His last months were spent in Walter Reed Army hospital. Before he died in March of 1969, in a scratchy voice he said, "I want to go. God, take me."

Dwight was a wonderful person, and I really appreciate his care for this country, and I hope others do too.