Dwayne Johnson

by Hanalei from San Diego

This is a picture of Dwayne Johnson (https://www.forbes.com/profile/dwayne-johnson/ ())

The People's Champion "Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up." (Schuller). The relationship to this quote and Dwayne Douglas Johnson are very similar. Dwayne Johnson or his nickname, The Rock, was a college athlete, but due to an injury he couldn't play in the NFL. This scene of his life resulted in him falling down. This slight setback didn't stop The Rock. Johnson later went on to playing in the Canadian Football League for three years. He then followed his grandfather and father and became another Douglas wrestler. The Rock was a huge hit with his fans and became known as, "The People's Champion." He gained this name for his wrestling finisher, "The Peoples Elbow" (Johnson). You may know him by a different name, the name you most likely know him by today is The Rock. "When he first began pro wrestling, the athlete used the name Rocky Maivia to honor his father, Rocky Johnson, and grandfather, Peter Maivia. This was later shortened to The Rock as befits his charisma and ringside popularity" (Rock). Later on, he landed it big in Hollywood and starred in the movie The Scorpion King, "His $5.5-million paycheck for The Scorpion King (2002) earned him a listing in the Guinness Book of World Records, as his salary was the highest for any actor receiving top billing for the first time" (Biography). He has been starring in hit movies ever since "The Scorpion King". Currently, he is one of the most paid actors in America. These accomplishments in The Rock's life show how successful he is even after taking a hard fall. He inspires many people to this day, leads others to follow in his footsteps, and helps others who are in need.

The Rock is with a boy who is battling cancer (https://www.pinterest.com/j3n87/make-a-wish-come-t ())

The Rock has achieved greatness in his life and he has spread it with other people. Last year, Johnson visited "The Make a Wish Foundation" and joined kids who wished to spend a day with him, "I believe in hard work and always being good to people. And somewhere along the way I got lucky enough to be blessed with this crazy platform called fame. Key is to always try and do something good with it" (therock). Last year, The Rock shared his fame with these kids and made their day. The reason the kids wanted him to be there is because he is a hero to them, they see him as a hero because they love who he is on the stage and off. He is able to spend time doing these kinds of things because of his career. "Soon The Rock became a champion and turned into an actor. So Johnson revamped himself into The Rock, a proud "people's champion" with a biting tongue. Under this persona, he quickly became a champion. His fame led to a guest-hosting gig on Saturday Night Live (only the second professional wrestler to do so), which led to a bit part in the film The Mummy Returns, which led to a starring role in a prequel to The Mummy Returns, The Scorpion King." ("The Rock"). The Rocks motivation made him thrive in the acting business. His first films allowed him to become a great success and so did his fans. The Rock is a hero because he takes his fame and helps other people before him. He is an unselfish man and always has a big heart.

The Rock with his championship belt (http://www.wwe.com/f/reign/image/2013/04/rock_rumb (The WWE))

The Rock was a great leader. He leads his wrestling group Nation of Domination to a championship belt. Also, he helped lead his football team in college. The Rock has been a great leader and helps in any way he can. "During his high school years, Dwayne began playing football and he soon received a full scholarship from the University of Miami where he had tremendous success as a football player. In 1995, Dwayne suffered a back injury which cost him a place in the NFL"(Hamza). The Rock was on the Miami Hurricanes 1991 football team. Him and his team ended up being the number one team in the east with a 12-0 record.(1991 Miami) Also, in wrestling he won many awards becoming the people's champion, but also a champion in general. The Rock was a lead in acting. He was the main antagonist or protagonist in many movies. "Johnson's acting career to continued to thrive through his appearances in such films as Driver (2010) and Fast & Furious 6 (2013). In 2014, he starred as the most famous strong men of all time in Hercules."(Dwayne Johnson) Johnson's acting career lead him to be a great actor. He is now a great man with a great heart and he wants people to follow his leadership and help those people who are in need of it most. He is a hero because he helps those that are in the most need and people follow behind him.

The Rock never gave up after his injury in football it may have brought him down but he got right back up. The Rock has been an inspiration to me because he broke barriers in race for sports and acting. He is of Samoan race and if he was in the WWE and acting business that shows me and other pacific islanders that we can be in the WWE and acting business as well. He inspires us so that we can be successful just like he can. "Success isn't overnight. It's when daily you get a little better than the day before. It all adds up" (Dwayne Johnson).

Work Cited

Editors, Biography com. "Dwayne Johnson." Biography.com, A&E Networks Television, 12 Apr. 2017, www.biography.com/people/dwayne-johnson-11818916. Accessed 28 Apr. 2017.

"The Rock." Contemporary Authors Online, Gale, 2006. Biography in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/H1000162205/BIC1?u=powa9245&xid=52bf2285. Accessed 4 May 2017.

"1991 Miami (FL) Hurricanes Stats." College Football at Sports-Reference.com, www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/miami-fl/1991.html#all_defense_and_fumbles. Accessed 8 May 2017.

Schuller, Robert. "A Quote by Robert A. Schuller." Goodreads, www.goodreads.com/quotes/407150-failure-is-not-falling-down-but-refusing-to-get-up. Accessed 6 May 2017.

"Biography." IMDb, IMDb.com, 2014, www.imdb.com/name/nm0425005/bio. Accessed 17 May 2017.

Hamza, Zak. "People With Bio Written By 'Zak+Hamza+<[email protected]>+/+Ritual+<[email protected]>" Sorted by Name Ascending." IMDb, IMDb.com, www.imdb.com/search/name?bio_author=Zak%2BHamza%2B%3C%2Bmj_zak%40yahoo.co.uk%3E%2B%2F%2Britual%2B%3C%2Bvsritual%40vsritual.com%3E&view=simple&sort=alpha. Accessed 29 Apr. 2017.

TV Guide: Dwayne Johnson - This is a website of all of the movies The Rock has starred in.
WWE - This website explains the superstar Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson