Dalai Lama (Tenzin Gyatso)

by Eric from San Diego

The 14th Dalai Lama (Tenzin Gyatso) (friendsoftibet.org)

A man once said "All major religious traditions carry basically the same message, that is love, compassion and forgiveness the important thing is they should be part of our daily lives." This quote was said by someone who is a hero, The 14th Dalai Lama (Tenzin Gyatso) a man who is kind, peaceful and thoughtful. The Dalai Lama is the spiritual and governmental leader of Tibet, a region near China where the Buddhist religion dominates. Tenzin Gyatso , born in Tibet in 1935, was found to be the reincarnation of the previous Dalai Lama at two years old. Gyatso uses this opportunity as an outlet to express what he feels needs attention. His devotion to Buddhism shows inspires many but his devotion to the world and to the peace that is possible within one's self and between all people in the world inspire many more. This devotion convinces many world renowned figures to study Buddhism, the road to enlightenment, and inner peace with him, drawing well deserved attention to him and his beliefs. Gyatso uses this attention well, to shed light upon the issues he sees to be important. The Dalai Lama is a well known public figure because of his peaceful aura and accomplishments, but he is a hero because he advocates for peace between religions, and peace between all people on earth.

Dalai Lama and Barack Obama (chakranews.com)

Tenzin Gyatso believes that there can be compromise and understanding between all people, especially people with different religions. "His Holiness met with the late Pope Paul VI at the Vatican in 1973, and with His Holiness Pope John Paul II in 1980, 1982, 1986 and 1988. At a press conference in Rome, His Holiness the Dalai Lama outlined his hopes for the meeting with John Paul II: 'We live in a period of great crisis, a period of troubling world developments. It is not possible to find peace in the soul without security and harmony between the people. For this reason, I look forward with faith and hope to my meeting with the Holy Father; to an exchange of ideas and feelings, and to his suggestions, so as to open the door to a progressive pacification between people.'" (The Nobel Prizes 1989)These meetings show that he is capable of meeting with leaders of other religions with open arms and is willing to discuss spirituality peacefully. He believes that people would feel more secure if there was understanding and harmony between all people. His Holiness believes that there can even be understanding between people who are seeking independence and those ruling them. "Though some in Tibet criticized him for not supporting complete independence for their country, the Dalai Lama believed that remaining a part of China would benefit Tibet in the long term as long as Tibetan rights and culture were preserved."("Dalai Lama." Newsmakers.) His statement on this topic that although his homeland is occupied by China he still believes that it may help their country in the end, showing he does possess foresight. This statement shows that he found compromise between two opposing forces. One of the features that defines a hero is the ability to find compromise. The Dalai Lama possesses this trait, contributing to why he is a hero.

Tenzin Gyatso smiling (kenlauher.com)
Tenzin Gyatso smiling (kenlauher.com)

The Dalai Lama believes that retaliation should not be the primary way to deal with the world's problems. When he says something he practices what he preaches. "The Chinese attempted to use the Panchen Lama, the second spiritual leader, to counteract his influence, but this failed. With the Tibetan uprising in 1959, the Dalai Lama fled to India, where he set up his residence in Dharamsala, Himachal Pradesh."("Dalai Lama." Encyclopedia of World). Gyatso knows that violence may be at hand he chooses not to fight back, practicing what he preaches. This statement shows that it is possible to be a peaceful man who is capable of finding compromise with his rulers and his people. Although he does not believe retaliation is the way to deal with the world's problems he does acknowledge that time may change his opinion. "He also criticized the United States-led war on terrorism, saying that the use of force to override terrorists overlooks the underlying problems that lead to terrorism. (By 2003, however, he conceded that violence might be necessary to fight terrorism.)"("Dalai Lama." Newsmakers.) He is willing to admit he may have been wrong but is willing to change his opinion based on what he believes to be just. His words are accounted for on issues that are controversial and are followed by people around the world. He can make a statement and be able to reflect upon his statement. His action shows that he acts upon his words, something a hero should do.

Without a doubt The 14th Dalai Lama is one of the most renowned figures in the modern world because of his peaceful presence and his accomplishments pertaining to world peace, but his understanding of other religions and advocacy for peace between religions and all humans make him a hero. His Holiness believes that peace is possible between people of religions with opposing viewpoints. He believes that retaliation may be a mean of solving problems it is not the primary way someone should go about solving problems. Tenzin Gyatso inspires me and the world because he attempts to please everyone while still holding his viewpoint and he also possesses rational thinking, an essential trait to any hero. He inspires the world by having an outwardly joyful personality, something so difficult to obtain yet he so effortlessly displays. Tenzin Gyatso notices the interconnectedness of religions and humans themselves. He notices the principles that make us humans, love for one's self and others, compassion for everyone and forgiveness for those who have done us wrong. The 14th Dalai Lama may look to be a normal man dressed in red and yellow but his joyful smile and his cheerful appearance make him a sign of peace in this cruel world and his peaceful aura shines brighter than even the sun.

The Dalai Lama Meditating (venerable-namgyel.com)

Frängsmyr Tore , From Les Prix Nobel. The Nobel Prizes 1989, [Nobel Foundation], Stockholm, 1990

Dalai Lama." Encyclopedia of World Biography. 2nd ed. Vol. 4. Detroit: Gale, 2004. 369-371. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 11 Dec. 2010.

Dalai Lama." Newsmakers. Detroit: Gale, 1989. Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 12 Dec. 2010.

Nobel Prize.org - A list of all of the recipients of the Nobel Prize
Dalai Lama.com - The Dalai Lama's website
IMDB (Kundun 1997) - This is a movie based on the life of the Dalai Lama