Deng Dan Li

by Emma Hu and Amy Lee from PingTung, Taiwan

Drillmasters are peculiar to high school campuses in Taiwan. All of them are actually soldiers in service. They are transformed from their former offices to our school and play very important positions. They supervise the security of the campus. Though I feel drillmasters are usually serious, with this visit I found they are very kind and friendly. Thank from the heart for all they have done for the students.

In addition to maintaining campus safety, drillmasters have to lecture on certain subjects. The course is called Education on National Defense. It’s main purpose is to introduce basic concepts about national defense and community safety. It includes basic military training, history of national wars, and general protection of the country.

All of our drillmasters are very kind and friendly. They aren’t regretful for choosing the tough job. What they always bear in mind is the interest of us and teach us when we are impolite. We want to say "Thank for what you do for us. You are the best heroes to my mind."

Drillmasters work hard every day. They supervise our safety an help maintain good order in our school. However, they never complain about that. They just urge us again and again to attend classes on time. They don’t ask for our gratitude. Therefore, we are highly thankful for them.

To understand the life and job of our drillmaster better, we had a short interview with Miss Dung.

Q1: Why do you choose this job?
Ans.: Because there are many soldiers in my family. I attended the national military school and then graduated. After that, I work at school.

Q2: What is the challenge in your job? How do you deal with it?
Ans. We are often concerned about the students who can’t obey the rules sometimes. We always try our best to teach and communication with them.

Q3: What is the sense of achievement from your job?
Ans.: When I can solve students’ problems and help them to find what they really need. Sometimes I’m happy when I encourage them that students make changes in their mind which is useful for their future.

Q4: How do you play the role of Mother and drillmaster?
Ans.:I think my students are my children too. I also do my best to help them.

After the interview, both of us are deeply inspired by their noble personality. Many years later, if we have a chance to visit our campus again, the first office we will go to is definitely the Drillmaster Office. That is the place where we are to find the fond and fantastic memories of our teenage years.