Deborah Sampson

by Sheila from Lafayette Hill

Deborah Sampson (www.americansrandouts.com)

A hero to me is adventurous, determined, and loyal. Deborah Sampson/Robert Shurtlieff is just that. She lived at the time of the Revolutionary War. But unlike most women at that time, instead of just talking about what was happening, she was seeing it first hand.

Deborah Sampson was adventurous. Even though she knew that there was a chance that she may not have come back from the war, she went. She went to fight for the freedom of the colonies. She disguised herself as a boy named Robert Shurtlieff so that no one would ever know that she was really a girl. Besides being the first woman to fight in a war, she was also the first woman lecturer. She spoke to people about what she had encountered during the war.

She was also very determined succeed. When she was a little girl she was sent away from home. At that time girls were not allowed to attend school so she learned from her new family's books. Also, during the war, she was shot in the thigh and cut in the forehead. Once the wound on her head was healed she left the hospital, even though she had not told anyone about her thigh. She pulled the bullet out of her thigh herself so that she wouldn't be discovered. Since she took the bullet out herself, her leg never healed.

Deborah was also extremely loyal to her country. She fought through very rough times, but she never gave up hope that her country would be free someday. She went to many troubles to be able to fight for what she believed in. Freedom. She wanted her children, Earl, Mary, and Patience to have what she couldn't. She loved her country very much.

Hopefully you can see from this essay that Deborah was a very strong person, who fought for what she believed in. Even if she had to go to great extremes to reach her goals.