Dieter F. Uchtdorf

by Zachary from San Diego

The world is filled with heroes who try to help others going through challenges in their life, Dieter F. Uchtdorf, second counselor in the first presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is one of these heroes. President Uchtdorf was of humble birth, born, "on November 6, 1940 in Ostrava, Czechoslovakia, to Karl Albert and Hildegard Opelt Uchtdorf" ("President Dieter F. Uchtdorf"). In his teenage years President Uchtdorf joined the air force and continued to move up in ranking until 1996 when he retired to become a general authority of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ("President Dieter F. Uchtdorf").  Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf was married to Harriet Reich married in 1962. They soon had two children which now have grown up giving them six grandchildren ("President Dieter F. Uchtdorf"). Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf is an inspirational person because of his charitable mindset, his courageous actions, and his constant efforts to uplift others.

Charity is one of the strong traits that Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf demonstrates in every aspect of his life. This is shown in one event recently following the devastation from the earthquake in Haiti: "Henry B. Eyring and Dieter F. Uchtdorf said they are keenly aware that many in America are dealing with economic challenges brought on by the recent recession. Many Church members have made substantial contributions to Church Humanitarian Services, but more is needed" ("FIRST PRESIDENCY APPEALS TO CHURCH MEMBERS TO HELP PEOPLE IN HAITI").  President Uchtdorf is advising us to send our money to those who are in need.  It shows that he really cares and tries to serve everyone, and challenges others to do the same. This statement led to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints being one of the first contributors to provide for the people in Haiti. Recently The Deseret Foundation presented the Legacy of Life award to President Uchtdorf because of his willingness to help his fellow man: "President Uchtdorf, second counselor in the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was recognized for his efforts to build people economically, socially and spiritually " ("PRESIDENT UCHTDORF RECEIVES THE DESERET FOUNDATION'S 2011 LEGACY OF LIFE AWARD").  This award is given to eminent leaders with Utah ties for their contributions of service for the well-being of people everywhere.  He was honored with this award for his efforts in aiding his fellow men, with service and love. Elder Uchtdorf acted selflessly and did not expect to be recognized for it but he was. A true hero does not help others so that they can be recognized and awarded; they help others because they actually care for them. He truly helped the people around him because he cared for them.  President Uchtdorf's continuous work for his church has been another great example of charity and service in his life: "He has served as a Young Men's President, in an Elder's Quorum Presidency, as a Stake Missionary, a Stake High Councilor, a Stake Mission President, Vice-Chairman of the Frankfurt Temple Committee, and twice as a Stake President. In April of 1994, after nine years as President of the Mannheim Germany Stake, he was given a five-year call to enter the ranks of the General Authorities as a member of the Second Quorum of the Seventy...Then in 2002 he was named to the Presidency of the Seventy. He said he has had other assignments, as well, that have taken him and his wife to such places as Colombia, Ecuador, New Zealand, Tahiti and Russia. The call as a President of the Seventy would last but two years before he was released from the Seventy and called to join the ranks of the Apostles"("Dieter F. Uchtdorf, General Authority").  This list of President Uchtdorf callings shows his dedication and willingness to serve the church. Plus he was not compensated for doing these jobs; he also had to work on his own while serving the church so he can support his family. He has spent countless years serving and giving himself to help what he believes is true. President Uchtdorf's willingness to serve and the way he works with others shows that Charity is one thing that strives to do in his everyday life.

Another strong characteristic that Elder Uchtdorf demonstrates is courage. An example of this is shown when, "Dieter joined the Luftwaffe (the German Air Force) and received cadet training and earned his wings as a fighter pilot at Phoenix, Arizona in 1962"("Dieter F. Uchtdorf, General Authority"). Going into the air force is a huge example of his courage. Flying a jet that moves faster than the speed of sound, in something that isn't much bigger than a car, thousands of feet above the ground sometimes being shot at, takes a substantial amount of courage to do. President Uchtdorf had enough courage to risk his life for his country. Also before joining the air force he lived in another country, and spoke German. So coming to the USA changing to a new culture and language would also take some courage to do. Another example of his courage occurs in 1973 while President Uchtdorf was in the air force: "On December 17, 1973, the president of Lufthansa German Airlines received alarming news. Five terrorists had hijacked a Lufthansa 737 jet in Rome, Italy, and were making their way to Athens, Greece, with hostages on board. In an instant, Lufthansa's president ordered into the air his chief pilot for the 737 fleet. Thirty-three-year-old Dieter F. Uchtdorf was to take a small group of emergency personnel and follow the hijacked plane wherever the guerrillas took it. In every setting possible he was to negotiate for the release of the plane, the pilots, and the hostages. Then, when all of this had been accomplished, he was to fly the hijacked 737 back to headquarters in Frankfurt. With fortunately no more bloodshed, this mission, like so many others he had been on personally and professionally, was successfully accomplished" ("Dieter F. Uchtdorf"). This quote is a true story that tested the skills and courage of President Uchtdorf. This situation would be very stressful and Uchtdorf decided to do it because he felt that helping his military is what he needed to do. He could have tried to walk away from this mission and pawn it off to someone else but he was courageous and did what was right. Elder Uchtdorf has a lot of courage in him and will risk his life doing what he believes is right.

As a general authority in, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Elder Uchtdorf gives many speeches to the people of his church. He uses these opportunities to try and uplift those with his same beliefs, and inspire them to do what is right. For instance he once spoke on how we should not judge: "This topic of judging others could actually be taught in a two-word sermon, When it comes to hating, gossiping, ignoring, ridiculing, holding grudges, or wanting to cause harm-please apply the following: Stop it!"("General Conference Summaries.") This statement says that we should not be judging others that we must just "Stop it!" Uchtdorf is advising us that we should not judge a person because we don't truly know them. It shows how he believes in treating all with equality. Another example from an inspirational talk given by President Dieter F Uchtdorf is on not regretting: "To avoid some of the deepest regrets of life, it would be wise to make some resolutions today. Therefore, let us. Resolve to spend more time with those we love. Resolve to strive more earnestly to become the person God wants us to be. Resolve to find happiness, regardless of our circumstances" ("General Conference Summaries"). President Uchtdorf believes that regret is one of the things that can bring us down the most. So he believes that if we follow these things and focus on doing things we won't regret can truly make and keep us happy. It also explains how we must focus on the eternal things, rather temporal things, because eternal matters the most. In another talk that President Uchtdorf gave on judging is another good example on how he challenges others to look at others in a better light. "We are not perfect. The people around us are not perfect. People do things that annoy, disappoint, and anger. In this mortal life it will always be that way. Nevertheless, we must let go of our grievances. Part of the purpose of mortality is to learn how to let go of such things" ("General Conference Summaries"). Uchtdorf brings up the point that none of us are perfect, meaning that we shouldn't judge others for bad things they have done, because we all sin, just in different ways. Also this quote is telling us to let go of our grudges because a grudge will hurt us more than help us. These talks he gives really strengthen others and show Uchtdorf's constant efforts to uplift those around him.

The life of President Uchtdorf is filled with his constant acts of charity, courage, and efforts to strengthen and uplift others.  Dieter F. Uchtdorf said: "For what we love determines what we seek. What we seek, determines what we think and do. What we think and do determines who we are - and who we will become" (Monahan). These words advise us to watch what we think say and do and make sure everything we crave is righteous. Uchtdorf shows this as a chain of events because this is literally how success or failure happens, so we just need to love and seek after virtuous and benevolent things. Elder Uchtdorf is truly a hero and if we follow his teachings and examples we can achieve anything.

"Dieter F. Uchtdorf." Dieter F. Uchtdorf. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, n.d. Web. 08 May 2013.

"Dieter F. Uchtdorf, General Authority." Dieter F. Uchtdorf, General Authority. The Dimension's Edge, 2013. Web. 08 May 2013.

"FIRST PRESIDENCY APPEALS TO CHURCH MEMBERS TO HELP PEOPLE IN HAITI." States News Service 22 Jan. 2010. Biography In Context. Web. 1 May 2013.

"General Conference Summaries." The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2013. Web. 09 May 2013.

Monahan, William. "Friday Minute: The Power of Heroes and Friends." DeseretNews.com. Deseret News, 30 Mar. 2012. Web. 10 May 2013.

"Of Regrets and Resolutions - General-conference." Of Regrets and Resolutions - General-conference. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 2012. Web. 09 May 2013.

"President Dieter F. Uchtdorf." President Dieter F. Uchtdorf. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, n.d. Web. 08 May 2013.

PRESIDENT UCHTDORF RECEIVES THE DESERET FOUNDATION'S 2011 LEGACY OF LIFE AWARD." States News Service 8 Apr. 2011. Biography In Context. Web. 1 May 2013.

Verzello, Amanda. "President Uchtdorf Receives 'Legacy of Life' Award."DeseretNews.com. Deseret News, 8 Apr. 2011. Web. 09 May 2013.