Dolphins

by MiKayla from Florence

Dolphins are as cute as babies. At least one species of dolphins are in every ocean in the world. They’re my hero because they have saved people’s lives, bring fun and joy, and are important to the oceans’ food chain. I will give some examples. Who is your hero?

Dolphins are as helpful as the News. Lifeguard Rob Howes said he and 3 female lifeguards were on a training swim about 100 meters off shore. About halfway, a pod of dolphins came right for them then started to circle them, all while slapping the water with their tails. He said that he drifted away when suddenly, an opening occurred. Then he saw a Great White Shark! When the shark was moving toward the women, including his daughter, the dolphins confused it. The shark left as the boat came. He said that the next few weeks he talked with dolphin experts. Isn’t that amazing?

Dolphins are as friendly as Bambie. In 1984, a young bottlenose dolphin started to appear at Dingle Harbor. The world famous dolphin has remained in Fungie ever since. He has become both a friend to the locals and a great attraction. He is a curious and friendly animal. He has been photographed bringing gifts to fishers of still living fish clasped in his jaws. Have you ever petted a dolphin?

Dolphins are as strong as sharks, even stronger. The ocean food chain starts with diatoms, zooplankton, and then small fish, large fish, and at the top is Killer Whales. Diatoms are microscopic plants that make their food from the sunlight. Zooplanktons are tiny sea animals like krill, copepods, medusa jellyfish, and crab larva. Small fish might be mackerel, herring, basking shark, crab, shrimp, lobster, clams, scallops, and squid. Large fish might include sword fish, tuna, octopus, shark, and dolphins. Finally Killer Whales, they eat other whales and large and small fish. Do you know our food chain?

Dolphins are not as unknown as cavemen. Dolphin babies learn what and how to do things by mimicking their mothers. A nasal sac inside the dolphin’s head is what supposedly makes it possible for them to communicate. Bottlenose Dolphins also have a sharp sense of hearing; scientists believe sounds travel through their lower jaw to their inner ear. The dolphins are my heroes because they saved lives and bring joy. They make me feel safe and cheerful. Do you like dolphins, and if not why?

Ocean Food Chain - The Sea