W.E.B. DuBois

by Andrea from Raleigh

In my state of mind, W.E.B. DuBois was more than an African American man. He was a leader, a teacher and also many people followed after his footsteps. DuBois had many goals in his life that he was going to succeed in. W.E.B. had dreams that he knew he would accomplish. He was a passionate man who shared and expressed his feelings in ways that people could connect with.

My hero, W.E.B. DuBois, was born in Barrington, Massachusetts on February 23, 1868. W.E.B. stands for William Edward Burghardt. He attended Harvard for the study of philosophy. DuBois was the first black to receive a Ph.D. at Harvard. Then he became a teacher at ATL University, where he taught history and economics. He had great expectations for what he was going to continue doing as he proceeded in life.

W.E.B. had a project of compiling a massive Encyclopedia. He even was active in a few protests and was one of the most important leaders. DuBois also led black opponents of racial discrimination. He was also a famous historian and sociologist. He also attended conferences in Europe.

W.E.B. DuBois was a leader in many ways. He taught people so many things. He was not a hero that ran into a house that was on fire or something, but he was a type of hero that would save people by the words that came out of his mouth. DuBois was known in many places and actually traveled quite a few places to get where he's at now. And he continues to go on his journey every time we read or hear about him.

W.E.B. DuBois was a wonderful leader all around. I think he made a big impact on a lot of things in life. DuBois started as no one, just like everyone else, and ended up as one of the first blacks from Harvard, a leader of protests and all. I think he started a new beginning in a lot of ways. Now I think you have a better understanding of why W.E.B. DuBois is a hero and now MY hero.

W.E.B. DuBois - A Biographical Sketch
W.E.B. Du Bois - Personal Info
W.E.B. Du Bois - The Souls of Black Folk
W.E.B. Du Bois - From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
W.E.B. Du Bois - Library of Congress