Sir Edward 'Weary' Dunlop

by Brieana from Melbourne

"You hear so much about people demanding rights, but to find you have none at all and to see the human spirit conquer, to see people rise above frailty is pretty heroic stuff and very touching."
stamp (www.yahoo.com)
stamp (www.yahoo.com)

Edward was born in 1907, Wangaratta, Victoria. When Edward was young he was scared of heights. To over come his fear he would climb trees and would walk bear foot on stones and other objects. When he was out of high school he became a wrestling champion. When he stopped wrestling he worked in a chemist shop. He soon became bored at the chemist shop and signed up for the army. Every day he would go down and train with the army. When World War 2 came he was sent over to Indonesia but was captured two weeks later by the Japanese. Whilst Edward was at the camp he would hunt for extra food for the Australian soldiers.

Edward was a surgeon and did many things to help the Australians that had also been captured. He was once caught out of bed and was punished and received fractured ribs and an open cut to the head after being bashed. He was tied up for most of the day and lost feeling in his legs. When he was realised he got to his feet, bowed to the guards and slowly walked to the operating room to save a Dutchman's life whilst determined to show Australians are tough and are not weak.

Statue (www.yahoo.com)
Statue (www.yahoo.com)

A few days later an Australian prisoner was so sick that the guards were going to kill him because there was no use for him because he couldn't work so Edward stepped in front of him and refused to move until the guards gave up and walked away. Edward believed in tackling challenges and doing the best you could in everything.

Edward died in 1993 in Melbourne, Victoria. He is a very well-known surgeon now because of all the wonderful things he did for the Australian soldiers.

I classify Sir Edward 'Weary' Dunlop as a hero because of his outstanding talents and bravery in helping and taking care of other Australian soldiers and never giving up.