Elizabeth Blackwell

by AnnaRiley from Austin

<a href=http://www.nlm.nih.gov/changingthefaceofmedicine/img/portraits/35.jpg>Elizabeth Blackwell after medical school </a>
Elizabeth Blackwell after medical school

Back in the 1800’s it was uncommon for women to be doctors, but my hero changed history by pursuing her dream. At the young age of 28 she graduated from medical school. This woman was loyal and a pioneer in the school of medical use. This amazing woman’s name was Elizabeth Blackwell.

On February 3, 1821 Elizabeth was born in the town of Bristol, England. Elizabeth knew that she wanted to be a doctor. In January 1849 she became the first woman doctor of medicine in the modern era. Elizabeth had 3 sisters Anna, Marian and Emily. Her dad was named Samuel and her mom was named Hanna. Having decided not to get married, Elizabeth still wanted a family. In 1854 she adopted one child named Katherine Barry, also known as Kitty. One thing that is sad about my hero is that she died a few years after a tragic fall downstairs. The family was very unhappy after this terrible loss.

What I admire about my hero, Elizabeth Blackwell, is that she stood up against men when they said that she couldn’t be a doctor because she was a woman. They thought that just because she was female, she couldn’t be as successful as they were. A sad fact was that many years ago men thought they were stronger than women and that women couldn’t do the jobs that they could do. In my opinion, some people to this day still feel this way. And she, Elizabeth Blackwell, won in the end. She fought to make her dream come true and because of this she became the first female doctor.

<a href=http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=90112&rendTypeId=4>Elizabeth Blackwell before medical school</a>
Elizabeth Blackwell before medical school

As you can see, Elizabeth Blackwell was the first woman doctor in the United States of America. Elizabeth has showed me a female can do anything she intends to do. Men do not have a have a right to say to a girl or a woman that they can’t do a sport or a job equally as well as they could. It doesn’t matter whether you are male or female; it is your attitude toward accomplishing a goal or dream that counts.

Elizabeth Blackwell - www.About.com