Elijah McCoy

by Muyang from San Diego

(thewhitegeese.irish ())
(thewhitegeese.irish ())

"It's hard to beat up a person that never gives up" (Babe Ruth). That is what Elijah McCoy's determination is. Facing discrimination during his life, Elijah McCoy had a hard time to find a job. Elijah was born in a family of runaway slaves from Kentucky in Colchester, Canada around May of 1844. There was no good education of Engineering in the U.S. or Canada, so Elijah McCoy went to Scotland to learn engineering at 16 years old. Due to the color of his skin, he was not given a job to start with. He needed a lot of determination and hard work to prove that he contributes to society.

Elijah McCoy was a very determined person who accomplished his dreams, even though other businessmen would not hire him due to the color of his skin. "Despite his qualifications, McCoy was unable to find work as an engineer in the United States due to racial barriers; skilled professional positions were not available for African Americans at the time, regardless of their training or background" (Elijah McCoy: Bio). This proves that Elijah McCoy was faced with discrimination in the U.S when he was trying to find a job. Later this would remind him that he could still be someone even though there was discrimination. Before he went to America, he was very determined to go and learn his favorite hobby which was engineering, but there was no good education on that in the U.S or Canada. "McCoy was only 16 when, with the moral and financial support of his parents, he traveled to Edinburgh, Scotland, to begin an apprenticeship in mechanical engineering. At that time, training of comparable quality was not available to blacks in either the United States or Canada" (Elijah McCoy: Encyclopedia). Elijah McCoy wanted this dream so much that he would do anything to achieve it, even if it was far away from home.

Elijah McCoy worked from day to night to make sure that his inventions would make locomotive traveling safer and more efficient. "Never content to rest on his laurels, McCoy began to work on an improved version of his steam engine lubricator even before the patent had been granted" (Elijah McCoy: Encyclopedia). Furthermore, he wanted to make sure that his inventions got safer. He was even more hardworking when he was a fireman for the Michigan Central Railroad. "Unable to obtain a position as an engineer after he returned to the United States, McCoy began working as a railroad fireman for the Michigan Central Railroad. This position exposed him to the problems of steam engine lubrication and overheating. Locomotive engines had to be periodically oiled by hand, a time-consuming task that caused significant delays in railroad transport of commercial goods and passengers. Poorly lubricated locomotives also used more fuel than those that were efficiently lubricated. McCoy began his career as an inventor by first examining and improving the lubrication of stationary machines." (James). This proves that Elijah McCoy was a hardworking person. When he found something wrong, he always found a way to make it better. As a fireman, he made his first invention. "After studying the inefficiencies inherent in the existing system of oiling axles, McCoy invented a lubricating cup that distributed oil evenly over the engine's moving parts" (Elijah McCoy: Bio). McCoy did a lot of hard work to receive that patent for his invention. This invention later saved many people's lives when they were traveling on a locomotive.

Elijah Mccoy homesite (www.waymarking.com ())

Elijah McCoy is a person that will always be remembered. His determination and hard work made people safe. "McCoy soon discovered that in the 1860s, just after the end of the Civil War, impressive qualifications were not enough to convince an American company to hire a black man for a professional, highly skilled position" (Elijah McCoy: Contemporary). Even when McCoy was facing inequality, he was determined to make himself a contributor to society. McCoy was one hardworking person to prove what he was and he accomplished many great things to help others and to benefit himself. He will be a hero that will never be forgotten.

Works Consulted

"Elijah McCoy." Bio. A&E Television Networks, 2015. Web. 26 Mar. 2015.

"Elijah McCoy." Contemporary Black Biography. Vol. 8. Detroit: Gale, 1994. Biography

in Context. Web. 24 Mar. 2015.

"Elijah McCoy." Encyclopedia of World Biography. 2nd ed. Vol. 19. Detroit: Gale, 2004.

239-241. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 25 Mar. 2015

James, Portia P. "Elijah Mccoy." American National Biography (2010): 1. Biography

Reference Center. Web. 25 Mar. 2015.

Elijah McCoy Biography - The Black Inventor
Elijah McCoy