Erwin Rommel

by Eric Marcy

"This business with the Jews has got to stop."
Rommel in North Africa (Wikipedia)
Rommel in North Africa (Wikipedia)

Most people are surprised when I tell them that one of my heroes fought for Germany in World War Two. But when you dig deeper into the life of Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, it really is not that startling. Rommel was born to a Christian home, and it seems that his family influenced him greatly. During World War One, Rommel became known as a brave soldier and a brilliant tactician. He even earned the Blue Max and the Iron Cross, two of the highest awards a German soldier could receive. When Adolf Hitler came to power, Rommel caught his attention. The dictator made sure Rommel would rise quickly through the ranks.

When the Second World War broke out, Rommel’s character took center-stage. He was given command of the infamous Afrika Korps to fight in North Africa. It was there that he earned his nickname, The Desert Fox, for his brilliant strategies. Rommel was also respected by his foes for his chivalrous behavior. The Field Marshal once received an order to execute Jewish prisoners. As soon as he read the paper, he threw it in the trash. One time, Rommel cut his troops water supply by half to keep British prisoners alive. His Afrika Korps was known for their un-Nazi like behavior, and many historians credit this to Rommel’s example.

Rommel wasn't just known for his chivalry, though. For several years he stymied Allied commanders in North Africa. To compensate for the Afrika Korp's smaller numbers, he developed an aggressive strategy. Allied commanders tended to spread their massive forces over large areas, trying to defend everything, while Rommel concentrated his forces in one spot. As a result, many times Allied tanks found themselves attacked by as many as thirty German panzers! Rommel once said, "What difference does it make if you have two tanks to my one, when you spread them out and let me smash them in detail?" Eventually though, Hitler's refusal to allow German forces to retreat cost Rommel his Afrika Korps, with nearly the entire force captured by the Allies. The Desert Fox, on the other hand, was allowed to retreat by Hitler, due to the fact that Rommel was the German people's "favorite General".

When Rommel returned to Germany, he was approached by German officers who were planning to assassinate Hitler. Rommel kept the plot a secret. During this time he also began actively speaking out and writing letters condemning Hitler for his atrocious acts. After the plot failed, the Nazis gave Rommel two choices. He could either be tried in court, where he and his family would certainly be killed, or he could save his wife and son by committing suicide. Rommel chose to take his own life to save those of his loved ones. This final act of sacrifice simply solidified my good opinion of the Desert Fox. Rommel was an ingenious tactician, a chivalrous foe, and a man who stood up to Nazism, even while other Germans turned a blind eye. It is easy to see why, after I did my research, Field Marshal Erwin Rommel became one of my heroes.